Hello!

I am a beginner shoemaker and have been trying to figure out an affordable and dependable way to sand and shape leather soles and heels. I purchased a harbor freight belt sander that broke down very quickly. Then I purchased a black and decker grinder that was modified by a shoemaker that exploded and almost took my eye out!  

Anyways, I would love to hear what people are using to shape leather that isn't a huge investment like the industrial ones but one I can use at home and feels safe. Can anyone recommend perhaps a better brand for a belt sander?

Regards,

Maia

This rubber covered sanding wheel is what I use.  Just mount it on a 1/2 hp motor and sand.

http://diamond-grinding-wheel.com/

Hi Maia, in the past I have done shoe repairing and also shoe making and and now do mostly leathergoods production. Although I still own a couple of large finishing machines I have found this Multitool sander to be very useful. The 2 in the pictures below I have put into production, get 2 or 3 days a week full on sanding and they give very little trouble. If you were starting off I believe you could save a lot of money but trying this method. Only thing is you have to make up yourself a method of extracting the dust. I have been thinking of getting another new one a little more advanced and posting a how to do it on here . If you are interested to see more please let me know. Best regards Brian.

DSC00917_resize.JPG

DSC00919_resize.JPG

DSC00920_resize.JPG

DSC00921_resize.JPG

DSC00922_resize.JPG

I hate to say it after your comment about the Harbor Freight belt sander that broke down quickly, but I am using an $89 Harbor Freight belt sander with a cheap mini-shop-vac attached to the back hose hole to control dust.  I use it daily, sometimes excessively, and even use it in place of skiving for some projects.  It's been functional for some time.  I replace the belt around every six months, or I find I have to apply too much pressure to do the work, and I think this might lead to breakdown in the long run.

The leather dust issue is a nightmare.  You have to have a vacuum system in place or you'll quickly be knee deep in the fluff.