RussInVegas

Newbie Looking For Starter Kit

Greetings,

I'm a NEWBIE & am looking for recommendations on a good starter kit. I mostly want to get into making cases, holsters, sheathes, purses & bags, and MAYBE do a little stamping/design work... I DONT want to run down to Tandy Leather and by a 'Starter Kit" that I'll outgrow in a short while - I'd prefer to by quality tools that will last & am asking if anyone could make some suggestions on what I should get first, or if there is a 'kit' out there that is of excellent quality & has what I need to really get started -

Thanks,

RussInVegas

Thought I had posted already.

Check out Springfield Leather. They have a good looking kit and according to their website.....if you call them up they will adjust the kit somewhat to fit your needs.

Have fun.

You're right in not going for a starter kit. You usually find a starter kit in anything will contain things you don't want, and there will be things you do want that it doesn't have. And by its very nature the tools will tend to be some of the cheapest

I found this when I started as a chef years ago, and a friend says the same about her hobby, which is sculpture & stone carving

But you are unlikely to find a kit of very good quality tools. It is expected that by the time you need them you will have developed preferences and experience so will buy individual tools to suit.

My advice would be to do your homework before you spend any money. There are a lot of videos on YouTube, and threads on this forum; watch & read as many as you have the stamina for! Often recommended are videos by Armitage Leather  and Leodis Leather; I think those by 'leathertoolz' are good too. They will all help you to see what's needed, how they are used, and  you will start to see which brands are considered the best.

The key to good leatherwork is to have absolutely sharp tools, so your first purchases should be some sharpening kit - oil, water/ceramic, or diamond stones, and follow this with a strop.

I made my own strop - could be your first item of leatherwork!  For years I used Autosol chrome polish as a stropping compound but recently I changed to a proper honing compound and the result is better. If you have bought good tools you'll find you use the fine & extra fine stones and a strop mostly

I'm not going to name any brands, but to start with your tools should include - 

A cutting mat, the usual green plastic thing; get the biggest you can manage; a steel ruler

Scratch/round awl; saddler's/harness awl; a hide mallet or similar soft hammer; pricking irons or stitching chisels

Something to cut out the leather!  - clicker knife; round knife; a good craft knife, whatever you fancy

A second knife - can be anything you want. Use it to open parcels, cut string, sharpen pencils, and so on; its purpose is to make sure you use your leather knives for cutting leather only!

I'm sure other people will have their comments, that's all part of the fun!

Edited by zuludog