Had a someone bring me a bolt action Remington 7mm Mag and wanted a saddle scabbard for elk hunting.  He had just bought a new scope that was over 3in in diameter and the adjustment turrets came out to almost 4in. After convincing him it was possible to make one for such a large scope, apparently a few other people took on the project but then backed out, he order two more for his sons. After some molding with a length of pvc pipe everything fit perfectly. I gave the project the nickname "the three amigos". All three are veg tanned lined with latigo binding. One of his son's rifles had a barrel a few inches longer than the other two but that was easy to adjust for

11241616_513251478824365_7631242365347786716_n.jpg

11541949_513251465491033_2764735778824712552_n.jpg

1506723_513251475491032_6970594224204209987_n.jpg

I like em, . . . guess it is just one of those things I picked up as a kid watching saturday cowboy shows, . . . I believe a rifle is properly cared for when it is in a leather saddle scabbard.

You made that happen for the three amigos........

May God bless,

Dwight

Great job. What thickness of leather would you use for this?

Edited by bikermutt07

He wanted them heavy So I used 8oz Hermann Oak with a 3-4oz liner. 

Thanks.

I can not begin to imagine how many hours goes into something like that.  They look great, there's something to be said about plain leather.  Keep up the good work.

Stu

How do you determine where the straps attach?  Is there any rule of thumb or guidelines you follow of is each scabbard unique in that respect?

thanks

rick

For saddle scabbards we have several poster board patterns we follow and straps stay in same place. Patterns originally came from tandy or  Will Ghormley pattern packs you can buy. Only I have moved the strap placement is when making scabbards for motorcycles

Hi there Matt, I am very interested in your long range rifle scabbards. I shoot a 338 Norma mag improved. Large objective scope and 28 in barrel. I would also be in the market for several more for my buddies that I hunt with. Can you build hood to go over the stock end?

Very nice, or, mui bueno mi amigo!

I like 'em. Be nice to see how they look 6 years later... prolly got a NICE rich color now.

I'm glad someone posted to this rather old thread so that we could see the scabbards again.  Very nice!

yea first time I've seen them very nice work:thumbsup: