Jess Jones

What is the ideal Ounce weight for a Men's Leather Wallet

HI everyone, I am looking to make a leather wallet. What is the ideal "oz" weight to purchase for a good quality wallet? I am thinking 3-4 Oz? Something that won't fight a credit card from sliding in but will also be durable.

Thank you for the feedback. I truly appreciate it!

Watching...

I just made a wallet using 1.5 - 2 oz pig skin.  For the exterior I glued two pieces of the pig skin together to make a  3-4 oz piece.  I then just used the single ply pig skin for the interior.  I am finishing up the final finish and will post some pictures when it is dry.  The wallet seems sturdy but flexible.  On another wallet I made I used 4-5 oz for the exterior and pig skin for the lining and it seems a little ridged and bulky. 

I think I am going to try some kip skin or some calf for my next one.

Tom

9 hours ago, keplerts said:

I just made a wallet using 1.5 - 2 oz pig skin.  For the exterior I glued two pieces of the pig skin together to make a  3-4 oz piece.  I then just used the single ply pig skin for the interior.  I am finishing up the final finish and will post some pictures when it is dry.  The wallet seems sturdy but flexible.  On another wallet I made I used 4-5 oz for the exterior and pig skin for the lining and it seems a little ridged and bulky. 

I think I am going to try some kip skin or some calf for my next one.

Tom

Thank you for the heads up. I certainly was thinking very thin on inside pockets and heavier on wallet body. Thanks and hoping others will chime in as well. Thanks!

When I make a wallet....... If you are going to carve the outside portion, use at least 4-5oz. For a wallet that is easy on your pocket when carrying it I like to use 2 - 3oz on the outside with Kangaroo or pigskin if you will, on the inside. These are normally about 1 - 1.5oz. For ladies wallets you can use colors more easily and then the goat skin or kidskin comes into play, they are thin, also very stretchy. Skiving edges that become multiple layers helps immensely on thickness.

I make "Change" wallets complete with Kangaroo. They are very easy to place in a pocket or a ladies purse and hold change and some paper money if desired.

Ferg

I make my wallets with a combination of weights, each one used for the components based on function.

For example:

Back (exterior) is made from 4 to 5 oz.
Interior Bases (pocket base, etc.) is made from 3 to 4 oz.
Pocket pieces are made from 2 to 3 oz.

All components are made from either veg-tan or Horween depending on the final look desired.  

I used pigskin in the old days but it eventually wears out around the stitching lines and has a tendency to stretch over time; make a great lining though.  I will still use pigskin on those items that require a coin/change type pocket but those are rare in today's market.

I am still able to achieve a fully functional billfold (or other style wallet) with the thicker leathers while still keeping the weight down and the thickness and the added advantage of having much more durable materials results in a finished wallet that will have an even longer useful life for the owner.

Thank you everyone! These are great tips and I am so appreciative of your time and thoughtful answers =)

I avoid using pigskin as I do not like the stretch that it has, started using sheep skin which is a nice feel and doesn't have the stretch that pigskin does, though of late my go too for inner part of the wallet is roo hide, very strong, very thin and easy to work with, but living in Australia I can get roo hide a bit cheaper then most lol. As for thickness really depends on your personal taste on if you prefer a thicker wallet or a thinner one.

Everyone to their own. I use mainly 4-5oz vegetable tanned, full grain leather and sometimes 3-3.5 oz for interiors. My customers prefer the more sturdy and rigid feel with thicker full grain and veg tan leather (it gets mellow with use) and it makes for a wallet that will last and last.

Edited by ConradPark

6 hours ago, ConradPark said:

Everyone to their own. I use mainly 4-5oz vegetable tanned, full grain leather and sometimes 3-3.5 oz for interiors. My customers prefer the more sturdy and rigid feel with thicker full grain and veg tan leather (it gets mellow with use) and it makes for a wallet that will last and last.

Thank you for your input!!!

8 hours ago, Windrider30 said:

I avoid using pigskin as I do not like the stretch that it has, started using sheep skin which is a nice feel and doesn't have the stretch that pigskin does, though of late my go too for inner part of the wallet is roo hide, very strong, very thin and easy to work with, but living in Australia I can get roo hide a bit cheaper then most lol. As for thickness really depends on your personal taste on if you prefer a thicker wallet or a thinner one.

Thanks for the tip on that raw hide!