I took the notion to cast me some dummy bullets today. I am getting the hang of it now. Im figuring it will allow me to keep a stock of different calibers for making cartridge slides without having to have a bunch of bullets corroding in my junk drawer. I own most of the common calibers, so i figure this technique might be handy for the oddball rifle calibers I occasionally get a cartridge slide request for. What do yall think?

dummies.jpg

Wouldn't it be easier just to load up some dummy bullets (no powder)?  Of course, that assumes you have access to loading equipment or know someone who does.

I see some great practical joke prospects during hunting season with some of these dummy loads of yours if you use silver or brass colored paint and make them look very realistic.  Heh heh.

No metal to tarnish and stain and no wood drawing the moisture out of the leather  --looks like it otta work.  

With the proof of concept out of the way, I started on a shotgun set. Molding these things is pretty fun. 12 and 28 pictured waiting on the molds to set up for the 16 and 20.

IMG_20160801_185345938.jpg

What are the materials for the mold and for the casting? this is a good idea...

The mold is RTV silicone and the casts are alumilite casting resin. I got a kit from the hobby lobby it was like 60 bucks but 40% coupon later it was more reasonable. I think it will come in handy. What Id like to do is find singles of more odd ball rifle rounds to mold up like .458 Winchester, 404 jeffery, 416 rigby ect. For big rifle rounds Iprefer to use two rows of loops on a cartridge slide. I can get pretty close by eye from measured drawings but it isn't perfect. I sure dont want to buy a box of 416 rigby anytime soon just to make a cartridge slide. 

Thanks for the info.

If you use the right type of RTV silicone for the mold then you could also cast them out of lead.

Thanks for the idea - I have some low temp silicone (from when I was messing around with models) and some casting resin so I might have to make up a couple of molds.

On Monday, August 01, 2016 at 8:50 PM, AEMcClain said:

The mold is RTV silicone and the casts are alumilite casting resin. I got a kit from the hobby lobby it was like 60 bucks but 40% coupon later it was more reasonable. I think it will come in handy. What Id like to do is find singles of more odd ball rifle rounds to mold up like .458 Winchester, 404 jeffery, 416 rigby ect. For big rifle rounds Iprefer to use two rows of loops on a cartridge slide. I can get pretty close by eye from measured drawings but it isn't perfect. I sure dont want to buy a box of 416 rigby anytime soon just to make a cartridge slide. 

I would be willing to bet that there's more than one hunter out there with one of those calibers that would be willing to give you a cartridge or two in exchange for a nice sling or cartridge case. Maybe if you ask at the local gun shop, they usually know local folks with somewhat more unusual calibers like that (assuming the local folks frequent the shop).

If you go that route, it would be worth keeping in mind that some guys that reload for rifles won't do a full length resize on their cartridges every time. This makes the cartridge more specific to their rifle (better accuracy, more consistent, etc...), but which could throw off your mold just a hair. Probably not enough to worry about for most leather work, but something to be aware of.

11 hours ago, CowboyDan said:

If you go that route, it would be worth keeping in mind that some guys that reload for rifles won't do a full length resize on their cartridges every time. This makes the cartridge more specific to their rifle (better accuracy, more consistent, etc...), but which could throw off your mold just a hair. Probably not enough to worry about for most leather work, but something to be aware of.

The difference in a full length sized cartridge and a neck size only is going to be a tiny fraction of an inch (like measure in the thousandths). Like you said it won't make a difference for a cartridge loop, the leather is going to stretch a lot more than that. 

McCain: You could ask folks who reload to load you some dummy cartridges. They could be sized back to SAAMI spec but not contain any powder and either a dummy primer or no primer at all. Lots of reloaders have brass that they can't use anymore because it's no longer safe. Most of us save it up until we have enough to make a trip to the recyclers, I'm sure just about any of them would be willing to give you a few dummy rounds. 

Thanks everyone. I thought about using the a zoom dummies to make the molds for a couple of nitro express calibers I had passed on previously. Buying one for 8.99 and making a half dozen more I think would be more cost effective than buying 5 to make a rifle butt cuff. I guess I'll order one and break out the old micrometer and find out. 

Go over to one of the firearms forums and put a wanted to buy request out there for whatever you're looking for.  Try the firing line someone there will have what you need I'm sure.

Stu

Great idea, that's the ticket. I very seldom reload anymore and obtaining some other extras could be a pain finding more than one, thanks for the tip.

Will check some of that out next time we go in there.

Floyd