danicarby

Singer 31-15 (What is this bracket for?...)

bracket.jpg

I recently just finished restoring a Singer 31-15 and there's a bracket on the table legs close to the knee lever... Does anyone know what it is for?

Also, can anyone tell me what this machine was specifically designed for?

Thank you for the help!!

-Dani

You can see before/after pictures and what I did to make it perfectly functional on my blog: http://theprojectlady.blogspot.com/2016/07/industrial-singer-31-15-sewing-machine_7.html

IMG_0210 (1).jpg

IMG_1029.jpg

Singer had an oil can that would set there.

Oh, thank you Bob!!  I moved to North Carolina last year and while fixing up this machine I was wishing I lived an hour away from your shop like I had before!!  Thanks for being on this forum and helping me and so many others! 

Beautiful work on restoring that machine and table! Very interesting and informative blog post on the restoration project!

Thanks Bob, I learned something new around here today.  I asked the mechanic here, he said also that it was for the metal oil cans Singer used to put out, he also knew what that was for.  

Great how-to blog, Dani, and nice job on the restoration. I recently got a 331K4 working and it uses the same hook assembly as yours. The hook on mine was very worn so I bought a "generic" replacement, but found it jammed up the machine when I tried to turn it!!! I had to use a grinding wheel to open up the throat behind the hook. Glad yours worked ok.

Ms Dani asked what the machine was designed for ..

My research showed it is a general purpose garment sewing machine targeted at the artesian environment (small shop, no dedicated sewing machine technician). There are relatively few possible adjustments compared to the factory rated 96 series.

The design dates back at least to 1904 (b serial numbers), and feels like it improves on the 16 series with a similar hook/bobbin configuration but an improved upper thread mechanism. I have owned several that were originally treadle powered and later converted to power.

Many accessory feet and attachments are readily available. Many machines top out at size 69 thread but YMMV.

A very solid/flexible machine. They were very popular and inspired other manufacturers.

Lee in Hot Florida

my active herd includes, Singers  31-15, 78-1, 42-5 and an Anker Rz (when you gotta sew on a button). All are treadle powered.

Edited by leecopp

Nice job on the refurb.  Thanks for documenting it so well on your blog too.  I'd like to find one like that to go with my 29-4 patcher. They would make a nice pair.

On 8/2/2016 at 6:54 PM, dikman said:

Great how-to blog, Dani, and nice job on the restoration. I recently got a 331K4 working and it uses the same hook assembly as yours. The hook on mine was very worn so I bought a "generic" replacement, but found it jammed up the machine when I tried to turn it!!! I had to use a grinding wheel to open up the throat behind the hook. Glad yours worked ok.

Hi!  The hook I got actually didn't work and I was very bummed (It would bind the machine every 1/2-turn).  I put it in my drawer for a later time when I could try sanding it down to fit.. the problem is is that I didn't know what to sand down to make it work :huh:

22 hours ago, leecopp said:

Ms Dani asked what the machine was designed for ..

My research showed it is a general purpose garment sewing machine targeted at the artesian environment (small shop, no dedicated sewing machine technician). There are relatively few possible adjustments compared to the factory rated 96 series.

The design dates back at least to 1904 (b serial numbers), and feels like it improves on the 16 series with a similar hook/bobbin configuration but an improved upper thread mechanism. I have owned several that were originally treadle powered and later converted to power.

Many accessory feet and attachments are readily available. Many machines top out at size 69 thread but YMMV.

A very solid/flexible machine. They were very popular and inspired other manufacturers.

Lee in Hot Florida

my active herd includes, Singers  31-15, 78-1, 42-5 and an Anker Rz (when you gotta sew on a button). All are treadle powered.

Thank you Lee!  I figured it was for garment construction.  The lady who owned it is a retired tailor.  I bought it with the intentions to sew mostly bags and baby carriers.  I don't do a lot of sewing these days so it won't get at extensive amount of use but I like to me nice to my machines and didn't want to strain the machine with a lot of heavy work when it wasn't designed to do so.

Oil can probably looked like this one:

il_570xN.246143108.jpg

Dani, if you lay the two hooks on top of each other you should be able to see what needs grinding. I used a Dremel with a thin cutting disc and gradually removed metal from the throat area at the base of the hook. Mine did exactly the same as you describe.

This should show you where it needs opening up. It was a matter of trial and error, comparing the old and new, removing a bit of metal, trying the fit, then removing a bit more etc. (This is the original hook).hook 1.jpg

Edited by dikman