I inherited a partially built purse. It is a Tandy Marketplace kit. My brother in law started it and I would like to finish it. Instead of using the side leather pieces he laced the sides together. Now I don't know where to attach the long shoulder handle? I thought if I used a 2 inch piece of leather and wrapped it over the lacing then rivet it, I do not want to damage the lacing or have it not hold up. Any help is appreciated. 

Edited by mnfcbeagle
Wanted to add more

1 hour ago, mnfcbeagle said:

I inherited a partially built purse. It is a Tandy Marketplace kit. My brother in law started it and I would like to finish it. Instead of using the side leather pieces he laced the sides together. Now I don't know where to attach the long shoulder handle? I thought if I used a 2 inch piece of leather and wrapped it over the lacing then rivet it, I do not want to damage the lacing or have it not hold up. Any help is appreciated. 

A photo would help.  Some bags have handles on both sides.  Might fit for yours too.  Another possibility could be to attach it to diagonally opposites spots on each side of the bag.

Tom