I want to make a belt from python and/or snakeskin.  How many ounces should the lining be?  Should i also back the python with a thin piece of leather?  I normally back it linen however have noticed that other leatherworkers projects looks as though they have padding between the two pieces, the exotic and veg-tan.  Thanks.

Whenever I use a thinner skin like snake or frog I usually glue it to a substrate first or frame it. Having said that ... you should be fine to glue it down firmly to say 8/9 ox leather and stitch through it. I think the important thing I have learned is to get a good bevel back from the edge with an edger or sandpaper so that the edge of the thin material doesnt want to lift. below is not the perfect example but I hope it helps. That is frog I glued to 4/5 oz and I beveled the frog way back and then burnished so that the edge of the frog itself isnt subjected to getting lifted with normal wear. Dont know if its the right or wrong way but it works for me if I dont want to frame it.

Chestnut%20Frog%20Commander%206.JPG?m=14

Yep, what he said.  I don't like snake for belts at all. Big in the 80's -- I done a few.  Lacing the edges is a big plus.  But all that back and forth pulling through loops doesn't do the snake skin any good at all.  Scales weren't made to be "stroked the wrong way", which is why so many snake belts you see are either embossed (not actual snake) or they are coated heavily with acrylics ...

My 2¢ .. better to use the snake as a recessed inlay.

Edited by JLSleather

Thank you, Boriqua and JLSleather!

One thing to remember also is when doing inlays, if you do an inlay with snake and use the cutout portion to raise the inlay to be just slightly proud of the surrounding leather (the cutout leather is under the inlaid snake) with stuff like snake the scales can sometimes stick out and give ya a little headache around the edge. If ya do it like Borique did in the picture above or the windowed recessed style you wont have that issue. 

oops just saw how old this was. Probably got it all straightened out a while ago. 

Edited by MADMAX22

Appreciate the feedback, @MADMAX22.  I haven't gone back to try it again and will use all of the advice.