RussInVegas

Coloring or Painting leather lighter than its original color

Newbie question again...

i just bought a pattern of a hat I want to make & it brought up a question I haven't figured out yet... How do I make veg tanned leather a lighter color than it already is? Is it painting instead of dying, starting with a different type of leather, etc?

heres a pic of the hat I bought the pattern for - I really like the orange leather underside the brim & might even(after I get it right a few times) try orange laces too...

thanks, Russ

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Leave the leather under some strong lighting for a few days. That is generally the worst thing that some shops do with products and believe me what it can do to a product is sometimes unbelievable.Nice hat and I agree the orange is a great choice. Like a corset that should be fun to make.

Where did you find the pattern?  I did an internet search and tried the URL on the photo and can't find it.

I found the pattern on Etsy... I'll give you a link for a dollar - just kidding... Here it is below... I'll toss in the words "Steampunk Hat" for those searching that phrase... Russ

https://www.etsy.com/listing/270016942/leather-top-hat-pattern-diy-leather?ref=hp_rv

By the way, this guy has a LOT of really weird leather masks & stuff on this site... Not my 'bag', but seems to be fashionable & expensive

20 minutes ago, RussInVegas said:

By the way, this guy has a LOT of really weird leather masks & stuff on this site... Not my 'bag', but seems to be fashionable & expensive

Found it.  Thanks.

Yeah.. He's proud of his stuff.. But in all fairness, a lot of those items take a LOT of work... And the hardware is probably a bit steep.

Let me know how the hat goes.  I won't spend that much on a pattern unless I KNOW I'm going to make one <g>....

I don't normally like steam punk stuff, but that is a really nice hat. That guy does really nice work, and I don't think his prices are high for the quality. Most steam punk stuff I see is really crummy.

By the way, you can airbrush angelus acrylic leather paint on something to change the color. The problem is it will take a lot of coats to cover up the really dark background. You would need to apply numerous thin coats, but it can be done. I have actually done it on cowboy boots for a friend.