eddiekazan

Original YKK zippers from Japan

Hi folks!

I am looking for original #5 YKK zippers (chain or 30 inch and more) made in Japan. YKK zippers that recently ordered from US (made in US) is real crap. So now suppliers as pacific trimming, zipupzipper, zipperstop are not considered at all. Riri zippers with their prices comparable with Jaguar car price as well. 

Your advice would be highly appreciated.

i buy zips in a 3yd roll from Wawak "make a zipper"

Not saying this is the case, but most YKK zippers are actually made at the same place, regardless of what different supplier claims. Now YKK have many different kinds of zippers as I'm sure you're aware but the four most common types are their basic aluminum ones, these are as you said, crap - always. Then they have their plated ones. Price wise they are almost as cheap but they are considerable harder and more durable. Looking wise they are difficult to differ from the aluminum ones. Then they have their brass zippers. These are the ones I always buy. They are very good and only like 15-20% more expensive than the basic ones (Here in the UK I pay like 70p for 8inch zipper including taxes) to confuse things more, the non gold colored are plated as well. Finally there are the top one that is called Excel (I think) and these are almost identical to RiRi zippers both to look and price. What I'm trying to say, is that it's very possible that you have been sold the aluminum or basic plated ones, and looking wise it's hard to tell the difference. I would just approach a supplier and ask them to send out a sample of a brass zipper. I don't think you will be disappointed.