builderofstuff

projects for leather splits

Ive got a three pound bag of what appears to be splits, suede on one side, man made grain on the other, and dyed black, gray, and burgundy. Ive never worked with this stuff so I'm wondering what kind of projects would be a good use for it.

Chris

Hi Chris, what size bits have you got to play with. Maybe a laid out pic would help.

I'll have to try and lay them out tomorrow to get a picture, but they range probably from 8 inches square up to maybe twice that. It was a 3 pound remnant pack. There are some smaller bits and pieces too.

Chris

If the suede side is good coin purses and card holders may be good. Depending on thickness they may be good to attach together for some things that need more stiffness such as the little hair clips below. I checked your web page and did not see any clicker press or sewing machines. Does this create any limitations. As I mostly work with Croc skin I tend to get down to itty bitty pieces a fair bit as you see in my yellow duck bracelet picture I guess. Hope this gives a little inspiration. Regards Brian

Hair clip single flower belly skin.jpg

DSC09928.JPG

DSC09916.JPG

DSC09701.JPG

IMG_3291.JPG

I use bulk scrap pieces for practice and trying new things. Its great for making work shop tool pouches too. Maybe not the best, but I used a strip of cheap scrap to make a strop, which does make razor sharp edges.

All in all, its better to screw up a bulk by the pound split than to experiment on nice full grain!

Thanks for the ideas folks. I haven't been able to get any pis yet, but I'm thinking small pouches of some kind would be a good use for it. 

Chris