Pip

having a fantasy crisis

Hi all

Recently been at a show, a gent stood watching me carve a collar from start to finish, took nearly an hour, asked lots of questions, and at the end asked for three commissions for his sons, belts, two are easy one i am really stuggling with.... He wants a fantasy belt with dragons etc on.  My initial thoughts where scenes from lotr or hobbit but i have discovered i cannot draw dragons, that small, belt is 40mm wide belt with 5 mm border. Ideally i want one breathing fire as each scene is to be framed with simple designs to reduce the cost of the belt and keep it in budget. I have done usual searches, but either to fiddly detail or not enough, just wondering if you fellow leatherworkers could help! Here is something similar to what i need!

Thank you

Pip

20160808_174143.jpg

Go to any tattoo shop or look at tattoo patterns on line.  For some reason those abound with dragons of all sorts.  BTW, ask your buyer what kind of dragon he hants.  I make a pair of chinks with ddragon designs only to find out that Chinese dragons are not the same as English dragon.  Whodda thunk, huh?

Would something like this work: Free-Dragon-Clip-Art-GraphicsFairy.jpg

Great looking dragon!  Now to put in on a belt -- Aye, there's the rub.

For that one, I'd probably print out that version, then trace over it but only the major lines and maybe the scales, all the fiddly stuff could be tooled in later.  Apparently that dragon was in a book from the 1800's so it's fair game.

6 hours ago, cowboycolonel said:

Go to any tattoo shop or look at tattoo patterns on line.  For some reason those abound with dragons of all sorts.  BTW, ask your buyer what kind of dragon he hants.  I make a pair of chinks with ddragon designs only to find out that Chinese dragons are not the same as English dragon.  Whodda thunk, huh?

One of those annoying none specific customers, the leave it to you! But may not like it, i am just mocking up a design first!

6 hours ago, Grey Drakkon said:

Would something like this work: Free-Dragon-Clip-Art-GraphicsFairy.jpg

That will do nicely i think ! Thanks!

, i have started with some pictoral  Carving panels i will post pics tomorrow!

Here is the dragon i chose in the end!

20161218_145051.jpg

For some irrational reason . . I think it's due to my Nationality . . I can never pass up ANY subject on "dragons" without exhibiting my FAVOURITE "Dragau" . . .

wales-dragon-18-x-12-flag-3595-p.jpg

Wow, what great artistry!  I love designs that are so big they challenge the borders.

Ah yes. The Glamorgan dragon. 

Thanks everyone! I havent been on for a while, its nice to come back to positive feedback!

Can I point you all to Pinterest(.com) when looking for images and designs?

It requires making an account, but you can "Pin" things to different "boards". The more you add, or "re-Pin", the smarter its suggestions get.

I was dragging and kicking my way along, now I find it very useful trying to find designs and ideas.

The largest advantage is that it's image-based, and you can 'search' images (even using a smart-phone) by selecting particular parts of images.

Wow. I'm very pleasantly surprised. I've browsed for a few hours about leather, wood, carving, and different design patterns. The more I 're-Pin' the better it gets all the time. It doesn't know anything about me, but it knows what I'm searching and intuitive about what I want.

You can also save full-sized images of every image you see directly to your computer or phone (in two fast taps).

Cheers

Steve

4 hours ago, uncleSteve said:

Can I point you all to Pinterest(.com) when looking for images and designs?

It requires making an account, but you can "Pin" things to different "boards". The more you add, or "re-Pin", the smarter its suggestions get.

I was dragging and kicking my way along, now I find it very useful trying to find designs and ideas.

The largest advantage is that it's image-based, and you can 'search' images (even using a smart-phone) by selecting particular parts of images.

Wow. I'm very pleasantly surprised. I've browsed for a few hours about leather, wood, carving, and different design patterns. The more I 're-Pin' the better it gets all the time. It doesn't know anything about me, but it knows what I'm searching and intuitive about what I want.

You can also save full-sized images of every image you see directly to your computer or phone (in two fast taps).

Cheers

Steve

It knows far far more about you than you could imagine.   

Do a google search for 'line art dragon', and go to the images tab.  Hundreds if not thousands of choices.