msdeluca

I Glued Myself Back Together...

So, I saw this video someone posted where a guy had clamped an X-acto knife (with the blade pointing up) and used it to cut curves by simply pulling the leather through the blade.  

I was cutting a holster pattern with curves and decided to try the method... Worked Great!!!

For some reason, I left the knife clamped in the vice (although the wee-small voice inside warned me to remove it) and proceeded to other tasks.  At some point my hand swept across the knife and I felt a small nick.  Ooh, I thought, "dodged a bullet."  Then the blood started... The tip of the blade had punctured my pinky finger pretty deep.  

The wife said it would need stitches... she is a nurse.  

I had some woodworking super glue and decided to simply glue the cut back together.  Worked Great!!!

disclaimer:
Don't Try This At Home

moral:
Don't leave really, really, sharp blades sticking up in the air.

Thanks for the story, . . . sorry for the giggling, . . . I have done equally "unintelligent" things myself.

Also just wanted to mention, . . . others of us also keep super glue handy :lol:

May God bless,

Dwight

Little stuff like that doesn't matter much, but on big stuff, some superglues can be quite exothermic, in other words they get hot when they cure.  If it gets too hot, it will kill tissue.

Ask the butcher for a couple of trotters that are past or nearing their sell-by date and practice on them.  They are also good for a little suturing practice.

Boy ain't one handed suturing a kick, the scar will look manley.

Art 

Pretty sure that if you don't bleed a bit here and there .. once in awhile ... while doing leather work, you just ain't trying hard enough.  I keep a first aid kit and paper towels close by when working, and some bigger gauze pads & tape in the bathroom, which I thankfully have not yet needed for leather work so far.  

Bill

Yep, been there, done that. If you haven't bled on a project, your probably not working enough. Those finger cuts aren't as bad as head wounds, but they can still bleed pretty good. 

Always take the time to put blades down when not in use. Especially when your in a rush. 

Be careful with special superglues! The additives can be toxic, or just plain burn like hell. The gel superglue is especially bad.

The best one for cuts is the cheapest most basic dollar store superglue. There's a medical grade one too, but it's basically the same stuff.

well if there is a bright side .. at least it was your pinky. I did my right index finger maybe 14 yrs ago and the feeling in it is still not 100%, Went right across  the tip and made a nice spurter. I no longer take knives out of the packaging AFTER having indulged in adult beverages. Worse ... the blood stained the carbon steel good and it wasnt my knife but one I was supposed to make a sheath for. The client was cool with it but I informed him once it tasted blood it must be watched carefully.  :)

I did the sheath for nothing with stitches and bandaged but my index finger is a mess. Its right where it contacts the trigger so long sessions at the range are a thing of the past.

33 minutes ago, OnePivot said:

Be careful with special superglues! The additives can be toxic, or just plain burn like hell. The gel superglue is especially bad.

The best one for cuts is the cheapest most basic dollar store superglue. There's a medical grade one too, but it's basically the same stuff.

I keep several tubes in my shop desk, . . . and it ain't to fix clocks or some such.

May God bless,

Dwight

I've done the same thing with my draw gauge a few times. 

I cant believe you guys are so clumsy.  I've never done anything like that; never misspelled a wodr, I never fell off my bike when I was a kid, never got bucked off a horse, never had a girl tell me we could still be friends but she needed her freedom.  And to top it all I'm handsome and rich.    I also have some ocean front property in the Texas panhandle for sale in case any of you are interested.

:blahblahblah:

rick