JLSleather

Maverick 'n' stuff

How many you boys 'n' gals orderin out that way?  Just talked to a friendly fella gonna send me a few bits.  I didn't order any, but I see they gotsum HO "B" for $215/side, which aint too extreme.  If a fella was in OR, have no reason not to go check 'em out, right?

I've ordered  once. like the lining leather

I like their horse fronts. Haven't ordered anything else so can't speak to that.

Fair enough. I just ordered some smaller stuff which I'd been getting somewhere else.. but found they had the same thing for about half the money (ish).  So, we'll see how this goes?  I did get an email invoice and a receipt saying my card was billed, so maybe we're 'in the works' now.

Oh and their elephant scrap is really nice as well.

I should be seeing some of it shortly ;)

I have ordered from them a couple of times and the leather was great. Needed some bridle leather for a fireman's radio strap and they had by far the best prices and I didn't need to order an entire side since they had double shoulders. Their customer service is top notch.

See, now, this is good stuff to hear.

Are you referring to Maverick leather?

YinTx

I've placed several orders with Maverick Leather. The leather is great, prices are good, and the staff has always been good to deal with. My one complaint is with shipping. It seems to be steep and takes a while. My last order from them took 3 days to process, 6 to be delivered and cost $45 for 3 sides. 

I say this not to deter anyone, I like their selection and will certainly order from them again. 

I order regularly from Maverick Leather. They are good company. I live on the East coast so shipping takes a bit, but customer service is top notch.

Thanks, can we ask what products you prefer?

Personal reviews are good.  Anybody can write a check and buy an ad.. but let's hear what the people who "been there" (even if they haven't actually been there) think ;)

I am mostly getting Horween Chromexcel sides as well as some of the shrunken shoulders that they stock.

Just placed an order yesterday for the shrunken shoulders, and a few other sides that I have not tried before but need due to color request from a few customers. 

I've ordered from them 5-6 times in the year I've been into leather working,  they are great to deal with.  I've only had one side of bison that I was unhappy with, it had been marked down and I didn't realize it had as much surface damage as it did.  I called, not to try and return it but just to clear up on future orders how to avoid getting something similar, they were great to talk to about it and all is well.  

My only complaint is the shipping cost,  I've yet to have shipping be less than $30 but yet it hasn't been more than $40 so I try to wait until I get a bigger order to make a purchase. 

8 hours ago, johnbljr said:

I am mostly getting Horween Chromexcel sides as well as some of the shrunken shoulders that they stock.

Just placed an order yesterday for the shrunken shoulders, and a few other sides that I have not tried before but need due to color request from a few customers. 

How are those bull shoulders (temper, quality). I was going to get a couple for some upcoming projects and have only gotten one before from someplace else and it was very stretchy and not good leather (looked fine just was very low quality). Curious how theres stack up. 

I've recieved around 10 sides of Hermann Oak from them, some were marked down mis-splits, all were great quality, actually, some of the better leather I have.  Only thing I have that is any better is top grade W&C.  I have been really happy with the service, don't recall shipping, but that means it didn't break the bank.  I'll be ordering from them again when I need something.

YinTx

46 minutes ago, MADMAX22 said:

How are those bull shoulders (temper, quality). I was going to get a couple for some upcoming projects and have only gotten one before from someplace else and it was very stretchy and not good leather (looked fine just was very low quality). Curious how theres stack up. 

It is the quality you would expect from Horween. The temper is soft yet firm. I think that you will find quite good. What is it that you are planning on making?

3 hours ago, johnbljr said:

It is the quality you would expect from Horween. The temper is soft yet firm. I think that you will find quite good. What is it that you are planning on making?

Thanks John. Depending on the length I wanted to use them as the outer layer on some belts and had a few ideas for some either inlay or outer layer for some hunting type bags/cases oh and as some portions of some motorcycle seats I am thinking of. I like the texture and finish on the outside of the shrunken bull but like I was saying the stuff I got way back I wouldn't want to put on any customers projects.

Well, that aint so bad.  The shipping was a bit over what it "could" have been shipped for, but I think due to the type of box, and in the end....

I got what i paid for, just as described, at the price I agreed to, and delivered in reasonable time (OR to IA in 3 days).  The box it came in is THE box i was needing, so that 'counts' :)

Got my first order from them today. Ordered friday afternoon and it shipped out monday and got it today. The B side of HO is about what ya would expect, not too bad at all much better then I have gotten from other places. Not as clean as the WC sides I have gotten straight from the tannery but good enough. The horween side I got looked good as well. Shipping was pretty cheap and it was nice to have a supplier that is only a state away. 

I ordered some of the elephant scrap after reading this thread and got it lickity split but a little steep of the shipping price, and just placed an order for some of the caiman tail that they have for what seems like a decent price.  Cant figure out why they don't work something out with shippers for some better prices.

I could be mistaken but it seems when I ordered from these folks and seen how much the shipping was I questioned it.

Was told their program doesn't figure the exact ship cost, they will reimburse any difference.

Remember, I am not sure it was these folks. Worth it to question?

Ferg

15 hours ago, OLDNSLOW said:

I ordered some of the elephant scrap after reading this thread and got it lickity split but a little steep of the shipping price, and just placed an order for some of the caiman tail that they have for what seems like a decent price.  Cant figure out why they don't work something out with shippers for some better prices.

Whatcha makin' with the caiman?  I've tried it a few times, but the scales are large enough on them things that it doesnt' look so wonderful on some smaller items.  I mean any caiman, not just from these folks.

The shipping seems to be the common factor here, so far.  Mine, the shipping was a tad high - perhaps - but it was also quick, so .... :dunno:

16 hours ago, OLDNSLOW said:

Shipping on mine was $28, 2 sides and 6 horse butts. Granted they are relatively close to me (1 state away). Its not any worse then some of the other places on the eastern US side plus it only took 3 working days total (process/package and to my door). Plus the best part my order was correct and no having to call and tell them to send my order and not hold it because of items being out of stock, then having to call back again because my order was turned over to someone else ....... like some other places.