JLSleather

Maverick 'n' stuff

well, I was going to give it a shot at some holster work, so I am hoping it will work, or it will be another

learning experience!

Should be good for the larger models... don't think I'd personally care for it on a pocket holster, for example, due to the size of the scales.

Well I was thinking an pancake for a 5 incher 1911 I'm figuren that will be bignuf for it to work out, I'll find out bout mid week anyway.

On 8/17/2016 at 1:28 AM, JLSleather said:

How many you boys 'n' gals orderin out that way?  Just talked to a friendly fella gonna send me a few bits.  I didn't order any, but I see they gotsum HO "B" for $215/side, which aint too extreme.  If a fella was in OR, have no reason not to go check 'em out, right?

what about WC tooling sides directly from tannery and the 1 grade ?
comes around 210$ per side

Yeah, I personally like the W/C skirting.. but I do use HO, and for those HO users on teh west coast, seems like a guy'd wanna go pick it up where he can see it if it's close..

Anybody tried the shark out there?  I'd like to see the difference what we's calln "gloss" and what we's callin "matte".  ANd I like to know without dropping $200 to find out ;)

Ive tried similar Matte black shark from a different retailer. They more then likely got it from the same place in Mexico. The only pic I have of it was a sheath I made a few years ago. 

shark sheath.jpg

Thanks for the pic.  Might have to scratch my head another minute.  Trying not to order BIG piles of stuff I will have to pack up again to move ...

Edited by JLSleather

just a report back, I am happy with the items that came in from Maverick but the shipping cost is a real sack buster.  Both orders came in small flat rate boxes and were real light wait, in fact I commented during me second order about the cost of shipping and they seemed to have dropped it a little.  I have sent belts from where I am to the west coast for less than 8.00 and I have been paying maverick way more than that for something that is like one fourth the wait godda be a better way.  You would think that is they have the volume that they do, they could work out a better rate just sayun.

Didja like the caiman?  Tell us at least you liked the goodies ... ;)

30 minutes ago, OLDNSLOW said:

just a report back, I am happy with the items that came in from Maverick but the shipping cost is a real sack buster.  Both orders came in small flat rate boxes and were real light wait, in fact I commented during me second order about the cost of shipping and they seemed to have dropped it a little.  I have sent belts from where I am to the west coast for less than 8.00 and I have been paying maverick way more than that for something that is like one fourth the wait godda be a better way.  You would think that is they have the volume that they do, they could work out a better rate just sayun.

If they came in flat rate boxes the weight doesn't matter. Even retail at the post office is only 5 bucks (if I remember right). Figure in a little handling and knowing they have a pick up service, they shouldn't be charging more than 7-8 bucks for small flat rate box.

But maybe they are secretly located in Canada.

Edited by bikermutt07

Small flat rate box is now $6.80 within the U.S.  I sometimes use them for small items, not for teh flat rate, but because it includes insurance.. and by the time you pay for 1st class plus insurance, plus buy the box.. might as well use that priority box!

I didn't know they had gone up. I used to ship my cycle magazine in them. I used all three sizes. I think flat rate is the only way to go. 

Yes I like the Caiman and the elephant, I just glued up and stitched the panel today, fist time ever using it so wasn't sure how it was going to sew it, it was a real bear to cut and match up to the leather.  As soon as it is done I will post some photos here after I slip in to my cast iron drawers.

I watch a couple machining channels on youtube and those guys put a plywood box inside a flat rate box to strengthen it and then fill it with steel tools and things. We are talking a flat rate box filled and packed as tight as you can do it with carbide cutters, which are heavier than steel. One guy sent a 50 pound flat rate box florida to cali.............It was basically a hunk of steel the size of the box. The only problem they have is the cardboard giving away, hence the plywood.

I believe there are weight limits to the flat rate boxes now FYI. Something like 50 or 70lbs. 

13 hours ago, OLDNSLOW said:

Yes I like the Caiman and the elephant, I just glued up and stitched the panel today, fist time ever using it so wasn't sure how it was going to sew it, it was a real bear to cut and match up to the leather.  As soon as it is done I will post some photos here after I slip in to my cast iron drawers.

Lookin' forward to it .

if I'm not mistaken the second came in the 6.80 box and was still like 13.00 for shipping, I hate to use the word ripoff but where the prices for the scrap is reasonable there diggen in your drawers ta geddit on way or the uther.

42 minutes ago, OLDNSLOW said:

if I'm not mistaken the second came in the 6.80 box and was still like 13.00 for shipping, I hate to use the word ripoff but where the prices for the scrap is reasonable there diggen in your drawers ta geddit on way or the uther.

Right.  But no worse than those who jack up the price of the goodies so they can advertise "free shipping" ;)

So true, so I guess it is a trade off.  Don't know how this is gonna work here gonna try and post a photo if it doesn't ork I'll try again later, yup need to resize be back later, it gives me time to warm up my cast iron drawers before I slip into them

Just got an email from SLC.  Ordered a couple 10pk of daubers.. nothing else.  Didn't want to order dye, and have the shipping slowed down, since I needed these with teh W/C order to finish a few things up before packing.

$4 for daubers

$6 shipping

and the W/C stuff aint gonna work :rofl:

Guy gonna do this very long BETTER have a sense of humor ;)

ok hope this works a couple of photos, neither of these are done there along ways from that, I keep thinking about airbrushing that inside of the back part just haven't nailed down the color.  The inside of these holsters are lined with about 1.5oz of veg tanned piggy IMG_0355.JPGIMG_0357.JPG

The shipping price on my last order felt a bit steep. I bought 70 sf of horse, 2 pounds elephant, 2 pounds shark, and 5 pounds ostrich scrap. The shipping was 72 dollars. I like their leather and their service is excellent, but that shipping rate hurts my feelings.

46 minutes ago, OLDNSLOW said:

ok hope this works a couple of photos, neither of these are done there along ways from that, I keep thinking about airbrushing that inside of the back part just haven't nailed down the color.  The inside of these holsters are lined with about 1.5oz of veg tanned piggy IMG_0355.JPGIMG_0357.JPG

Pics too small for my eyes.. Try a bigger one when ya gitter done!

13 minutes ago, AEMcClain said:

The shipping price on my last order felt a bit steep. I bought 70 sf of horse, 2 pounds elephant, 2 pounds shark, and 5 pounds ostrich scrap. The shipping was 72 dollars. I like their leather and their service is excellent, but that shipping rate hurts my feelings.

$72 must be the popular number.. my W/C order was $70 shipping and was only 5 pieces (2 8oz, 1 4oz, 2 3oz).  By comparison, 10 sides of HO 7/8 was $50-something shipping :crazy:

will do when I emailed them to myself I chose the small size so that they will post here so I'll step it up some when done.