BetsyRocket

Rivets that are better quality than Tandy?

Hi everyone! 

So I had a bit of a melt down yesterday. I have been making wallets in both vinyl and leather and used rapid rivets from Tandy as a pretty big part of the main outside piece. 

After getting 6 entire wallets done and getting them all photographed to post online I realized that while taking pics of the inside of the wallets.. The rivets were brushing up against the table. Once the last wallet was photographed I notice that every single wallet had damage to the rivets :(

the nickel plating rubbed off in places so now there are orange/bronze spots showing through the rivets. 

Since these are wallets to be sold and quality is such a big deal to me.. Would anyone have any ideas on where I can get rivets that will stand up better to a little wear and tear? I mean these wallets were literally slid across a table a couple of times each and they are all shot. I can only image what they'll look like after getting slid in and out of someone's purse repeatedly.

also is there any way to maybe repair some of the damage? That was two weeks of my life and some decent coin in materials right down the drain :(

Thanks in advance for any advice! 

If you get a pair of flush cutting nippers, and if you can reach the riet post between the layers, you can cut them out with almost no sign of it.  Depending on the leather and such.  

I have on occasion, been able to use them to gently get under the cap and cut or pry it loose.

Tandy does carry a nickle plated brass that may hold up better, but I've never used them, so can't attest to that.

Tom

I almost exclusively use #104 tubular rivets. And I spend a significant premium for solid brass ones. Though the brass plated ones are still far better than rapid rivets.

But, while they sell hand-peening tools for tubular rivets, you really need a press. And IMO, the "Midas" presses work, but are not fun to use for many rivets, the handle is just shaped badly.

I have a pile of Tandy Rivets that will go in the recycle bin.  I can tear them in half with my hands, hardly quality material that I would expect to last in a customer's hands, and I don't want my hard work coming back to me for repairs on account of low rent rivets.  When I need rivets, I've used solid rivets, unfortunately I don't recall where I picked them up from, and I need to get more.  If I remember, I'll post.

YinTx

Please do.. I am desperate for decent rivets. I am so disappointed in these Tandy ones for sure 

thank you! 

Edited by BetsyRocket

Check out buckleguy.com he has some great quality rivets.

https://www.buckleguy.com/rivets/

Buckle Guy has some nice hardware. The best I have found for the price point. I can't comment on his rivets but I mainly use his products for my belts (buckles and chicago screws) and my shoulder holsters and drop leg holsters(double sliders and D-rings). If the quality is the same on the hardware he carries, you will be very happy with the rivets.

Are you sure the nickel plating has rubbed off and they have not just picked up some colour? I ask because if they held up OK to be attached together I would of thought that they would take a bit more than a slide on a table. I know from experience they can pick up dye seep and so on easily. If a good rub does not remove the colour then I guess you will have to remove them and maybe cover new ones with some clear paint or nail varnish. I have to paint for one customer a urethane paint all the snaps in her belts to match what ever the colour is and being a 2 pack trust me it is a major pain in the ....

I seldom use the Jiffy style of rivet, I'm more of a splash (104) rivet guy.  That being said, everyone else who uses the shop uses Jiffy Rivets, so I have a box or two of most of the finishes from OTB.  They are made in Belgium and are excellent, durable, and just about anyone around here can set them.  They stay together very well (not necessarily so with the Tandy variety).

Art

Are you sure the nickel plating has rubbed off and they have not just picked up some colour? I ask because if they held up OK to be attached together I would of thought that they would take a bit more than a slide on a table. I know from experience they can pick up dye seep and so on easily. If a good rub does not remove the colour then I guess you will have to remove them and maybe cover new ones with some clear paint or nail varnish. I have to paint for one customer a urethane paint all the snaps in her belts to match what ever the colour is and being a 2 pack trust me it is a major pain in the ....

yes unfortunately Im sure its the nickel wearing off. I slid wallet with the rivets on it on a white table and birch table and they both show a bronze/orange color underneathe :(

I will look into buckleguy for sure. And I will at the very least try the clear nail polish although I am bummed about having to go the extra step.

Thanks for your input!

yes unfortunately Im sure its the nickel wearing off. I slid wallet with the rivets on it on a white table and birch table and they both show a bronze/orange color underneathe :(

I will look into buckleguy for sure. And I will at the very least try the clear nail polish although I am bummed about having to go the extra step.

Thanks for your input!

This had me puzzled.  I have used Tandy's double cap rivets for years now and never experienced that problem.  I believe they use the same caps as the rapid rivets.
I set a few in a strap and rubbed the hell out of them on my desktop, a formica embroidery table top, a cutting board and my granite slab.  I rub hard, like I was doing a rough cut when sharpening a knife.  The only one that showed the base metal was the slab. 

I'm not sure what's going on with yours.
Any way for you to post photos?  I am getting ready to switch to the solid brass rivets and may switch to OTB for them if Tandy is having quality issues now. I can see them cutting down on the plating thickness to save money.

Tom