Sign in to follow this  
NeilMac

Moccasin Project

Hi!

Im new to this world. Been spending a week watching videos so got some of the basics but no practice yet, got some of the tools yesterday in the mail just waiting for the Pricking Iron (probably will take a while, guessing its coming from Asia). I bought the Tandy Moccasin kit for the pattern and the Plains Boot Moccasin pattern, Shoes is what I want to get into and will do a belt pouch next.

I bought a sheet of Leather from Tandy, 1.5mm, marked down, pre-finished I think its called (see pic) to make my boots but found out not heavy enough according to the PBM pack instructions, so I bought some Thermal Boot inserts to use for them. I dont want to spend a bunch of money on leather untill I know what Im doing. I also bought a role of Leather lace to be used instead of the cord that came with the Moccasin kit.

The Shoes I can start on now, except whats stopping me is that I want to use them outside for walks so I want to apply Crepe Rubber to them (Tandy) I have 3 and 6 mm, problem is I have found no video/instructions on apply them were they wrap up the sides a bit. The basic video Ive seen just cuts a sole size and slaps it on the base, I want about a 1" rise to protect the shoes from moisture etc, so Im hopping some one can help me with that. Im concerned that when folding the front and heal up then crimping will happen. Im guessing its better to apply the rubber, on flat then build the Moccasin.

The next concern is the leather that Tandy used does not feel that strong (not knowing anything about leather), so I was wondering if it would be wise to layer the leather I bought on it first, it has a much denser feel to it.

So thats my position at this time

Thanks!

P1100176_LeatherMoccasin-1000.jpg