Chopinzee

sewing leather to fabric

This has probably been covered in a previous thread at some point, but for the life of me I can't find where!  How do you all sew leather to fabric?  I've been saddle stitching my leather, but I'm pretty sure if I tried that with fabric on one side, the second needle wouldn't go back through the same place the first needle came out unless I prepunched holes in the fabric--which won't work since the fabric frays like mad.  There must be a simple solution... I know I can use glue, but isn't there some way to hand-stitch?

First note: You can get a spray at Jo Ann Fabrics or Walmart for instance that will retard the fraying when you punch holes.

If you have an edge/exposed, you can do a "Lap Over Seam with the fabric held inside the leather. Glue the fabric first then do the seam.

You can create the same if you are making a pocket for a purse or similar article. Glue the edge of the fabric to the leather after using the "Fray Spray".

Ferg

Thanks Ferg, good to know about the fray-stop.  I have some interfacing I can strengthen the fabric with as well.  Been wondering if it would be more appropriate to use a running stitch in this situation so I don't have to worry about returning a needle through the same hole in the fabric?  Then I could just use a sharper needle and it would go between the fibers of the fabric rather than making holes.  I'm sewing in a zippered lining and wanted stitching around the zipper, and my chisel really doesn't want to create anything usable on the zipper-tape/lining layer.