JJDD

Favorite Leather Edge Creaser

Wondering what you all think is the most useful and reliable leather single edge creaser (not with the intension of hot creasing), that is being made today. Something made well like what I hear about the vintage Gomph's, but by a tool shop still in production so that it's possible to get it new / without having to track down or tune-up.

That might mean there ISN'T one being made today that's worth a damn.  The only new ones I've tried are C.S Osborne, and they aren't worth the price to ship them if someone gave you the tool for free.  I would assume that anyone who is making quality tools would be able to produce a quality single hand creaser. If you are doing mostly straight strap work, spring for a creasing machine.  I have at least 5, all are different patterns, and I wouldn't sell any one of them.  I have some old Gomph and C.S. hand creasers, both single and double, and they are good.  They usually aren't crazy high, because (I think) there is less of a demand for them than other tools, edgers for example.

As far as I know Barry King may be the only one making new ones currently. I agree with Big Sioux Saddlery on her assessment of the modern CS Osborne creasers. WTH CS Osborne? They must have lost the patterns on how they were made back when they worked??? 

I have seen the demand wax and wane. I can credit a few top end makers who preach creasing straps and the orders come in. It slows a bit and then somebody else brings them up and it goes again. I will politely offer a different point of view with Big Sioux on one thing. I don't think the prices are relatively low vs. other vintage tools based on demand alone. I think it the nature of the tool itself and the supply. They don't have an edge to maintain like an edge beveler or French edger. There was not the issue of poor or excessive sharpening along they way so they tend to last longer. Nearly every old estate set from someone in the trade has a complete set. They bought #1-5 edger set and then probably the larger sized range set as well. By sheer numbers there is a bunch that have survived in pretty good shape relative to other tools in the kit. For a working set of vintage creasers there isn't much tracking down or tuning up needed. 

6 hours ago, bruce johnson said:

I will politely offer a different point of view with Big Sioux on one thing. I don't think the prices are relatively low vs. other vintage tools based on demand alone. I think it the nature of the tool itself and the supply. They don't have an edge to maintain like an edge beveler or French edger. There was not the issue of poor or excessive sharpening along they way so they tend to last longer. Nearly every old estate set from someone in the trade has a complete set. They bought #1-5 edger set and then probably the larger sized range set as well. By sheer numbers there is a bunch that have survived in pretty good shape relative to other tools in the kit. For a working set of vintage creasers there isn't much tracking down or tuning up needed. 

I never thought of that as being the reason, but it makes perfect sense.  In a box of old tools, very often there will be a few edgers that are broken or cracked or otherwise no good, but the creasers are nearly always in good useable condition after a little cleaning up. Thank you for offering your insight.

On August 24, 2016 at 1:28 PM, JJDD said:

Wondering what you all think is the most useful and reliable leather single edge creaser (not with the intension of hot creasing), that is being made today. Something made well like what I hear about the vintage Gomph's, but by a tool shop still in production so that it's possible to get it new / without having to track down or tune-up.

Where have you already searched?

i saw these nice looking ones on Amazon, and thought you might like to at least have a look.

https://www.amazon.com/Leather-Creaser-Stainless-Marking-Handle/dp/B01NAS41JY/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1509941842&sr=8-9&keywords=leather+creaser

Good luck, otherwise.

Chas

7 hours ago, ChasCS said:

Where have you already searched?

i saw these nice looking ones on Amazon, and thought you might like to at least have a look.

https://www.amazon.com/Leather-Creaser-Stainless-Marking-Handle/dp/B01NAS41JY/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1509941842&sr=8-9&keywords=leather+creaser

Good luck, otherwise.

Chas

Well those sure look nice. 

Thanks for the link.

I use the Wuta one linked to above and find it excellent. Ive been through a few creasers but have stuck with this one, it's great.

Hopefully, the OP is still around. But no problem, if they're not.

Well yes, those Wuta tools look marvelous, it's a shame they don't get sold in groups of three.

Ah, but if one likes them enough, it wouldn't hurt to buy the set. Even for the high cost.

Chas

Edited by ChasCS