Buster2008

Singer 45k - clutch motor or treadle sewing machine

Hi Everyone,

I'm new-ish to this forum but only just brave enough to put a question out there now!

I've been sewing saddlery stuff by hand and need to invest in a sewing machine. So far it is only a hobby for me and as I've been made redundant from my job I cannot afford to buy a lovely new purpose built saddlery sewing machine although I'd set my heart on one.

I have come across 2 singer 45k's. One is described as a "cobbler's" machine while the other as a "harness maker's" but I don't know the actual machine numbers at the moment. The cobbler's has a new clutch motor and asking price is €680 and the harness is treadle asking price €1000. I'd prefer treadle (I think) as I'm useless to control electric house hold machine but have only used that about twice so no experience really. The motorised is a used machine but new motor while the treadle is in almost new working condition with only a couple of hours use in all its life. As far as I know both are cylinder beds.

Based on that information what do people with more knowledge than I do (not a hard thing) think about the two choices I've got. I'm in Ireland and harness machines are as rare as hens teeth! 

Thanks very much for reading this.

Kind regards...

Very cool old machines. Do you have the numbers following the 45k or are they just 45K?

I personally would want a servo motor for sewing saddle stuff which you can get at a decent price and attach to either machine I think. This would help your transition into power sewing machines much easier. 

IMHO get the machine that has the least wear. I am sure some of the experienced guys will chime in shortly. Just remember these old machines can be hard to get parts for however if you get one with low wear and its in nice shape it will probably sew for another 50 years or more. 

:) No need to ask who you support in the hurling ..eh ;)
re machine parts close to you..including servo motors..
www.college-sewing.co.uk/
I have literally just got off the phone with them, ( they are incredibly helpful ) ordered a jack servo motor ( and a whole pile of other bits and pieces for my various machines )..JK511A which would power either of the machines that you have available..
You'd want to take the clutch motor off the one that has it anyway..clutch motors can be controlled to run slow eventually, but if you have trouble keeping a domestic machine to run slowly, you'd frighten yourself, or sew a finger, with a clutch motor , they have a tendency to go away like a horse with a hornet sting on the rear, but servo motors are so much more controllable..and quieter, and much more economical on the electricity..

Me, if they are both in good condition, I'd go for the harness machine, you'll have something few others have, so with all the horses in Ireland, especially around your way ( I'm originally from the Kilkenny / Wexford border area ) you'll not be wanting for work a soon as word gets around that you can fix and make harness..

Don't whatever you do sew horse blankets with the machine, firstly it is a sin ;)and secondly they are always chock full of hairs and crud which will get in the works and cost you time and money to get it all back out of..get another machine later ( any old "junker" will do ) to touch blankets with, better yet, find someone else to do the blankets, take in the "blanket work" , and pass it onto someone who doesn't mind having a machine that looks and smells like bear slept in it..

Wishing you all the luck .. :)

They are probably selling them as "cobbler" or "harness" machines to try and peak the interest of people looking for that use. If they are both the same sub model then they are both the same. I would think figuring out the sub model then get the one with the least wear.

The Singer 45K came in both flatbed and cylinder arm versions. Lots of subclasses were made over time (Description of Singer 45K sublasses). Make sure the ones you're considering will fit your needs. Reading the Singer 45K manual (Flatbed) or Singer 45K manual (Cylinder Arm) ahead of time will help understand what you're getting yourself into.

Edited by Uwe

Hello MADMAX22, mikesc, Uwe,

Firstly let me apologise sincerely for not thanking you for your advice and help regarding my query 4 years ago. I only found your replies while checking out the site last night, I just don't know the site well enough even yet as it has taken me a long time this morning to find them again!

To let you know I went with the Singer 45K25 treadle machine which is in brilliant condition. It was used by a saddler/harness maker in Co. Galway (which is where I'm from mikesc but living in Kilkenny). Thanks for the manual on it. It's been invaluable. 

Thanks so much. 

2 hours ago, Buster2008 said:

To let you know I went with the Singer 45K25 treadle machine

Hi, could you post some pictures of your machine and parts if any that came with it. For uploading pictures look below, just drag or choose from a file on your pc. Right click, Edit, resize, pixels, then change the number ...say from 4880 to 850, that way you can upload a few more as the limit is 1.45 mb. If you want to see if you have a reply and your post is gone from the front page then just click on your icon top right and look at your activity, then you will find the posts you were active in.

You can find some info here in this link....

You may find these video's of interest if your going to repair tack https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcsJvB1ntSJd4AjLSTOBHCA