Sign in to follow this  
Svey302

How to adjust/setup Saint Louis Skiver

Good day, 

I was given this small skiver when people around me found out I wanted to start working with leather. 

It is an American St Louis model B. I sharpened the blade and reinstalled it, tried to feed a piece of 7 once leather but in order for the wheel to pull the leather, It leaves marks on the lesther. I found some illustrations and pics of that machine but nothing on adjustments and how to run pieces of leather without ruining them. 

If any one can point me in the right direction I would appreciate. It does however makes for a lovely weight to keep a door open.

yves

image.jpg

You can sure minimize but probably not totally eliminate the marks. You can get them to a manageable level to where they will rub out. Three things -

1). blade should be super sharp to minimize drag. More drag = more pressure needed to push the leather through.

2) Enough space between the top and bottom roller to just grab the leather without compressing it much between the rollers. It adjusts with the hex head bolt right there in the picture

3) This follows along with the space in #2, but just enough spring tension to put enough pressure on the rollers to feed. Back off or tighten the square head bolt below the compression spring.  

And....after all that - some people will machine down the grooves on the top roller to minimize marking. I've had them with smooth rollers on top and they still feed. On the B the bottom roller does most of the grabbing. Some other models only the top feeds and the bottom is an idler. 

Also it looks like your blade is sitting pretty level. You didn't mention about changing that angle to make different angled skives so I don't know how much you have played with other adjustments. If not, it adjusts on either side. Behind that elongated wing nut is an adjuster. Loosen the wing nut, move the little "handle" in either direction. It is an eccentric that will raise or lower that side. On the outside is the hex bolt with a knurled round doodad under it. Loosen that hex, turn the knurled piece (also an eccentric) to raise and lower the outside aspect of the blade rest. That one can be sticky and a little PB Blaster or similar is your friend. 

Thank you Bruce for your advice.

For the top roller, I think your ultimate suggestion to make it smooth makes perfect sense, I have played with tension and in order for the leather to feed, it still leave mark but a few passes with the burnisher smooths most of the mark out. I wrapped a couple "lobster claw" elastics around it, that eliminated the marks completely.

I have been trying different blade angles, I did take apart and lube everything so the blade moves well.

The spring tension was initially set to its maximum setting, your suggestion of lowering that pressure made everything a lot better. 

I was able to get a skive of 3/4" but I still get a scallop edge on it. But that could be from some gear being worn out.

Yves