thekid77

finishing off the ends of hatbands with horse hair...

Hi friends,

I am wondering how the ends on horse hair hatbands are finished off?? (please see circled areas of photos below)

Is it just a pineapple/turk's head knot tightened over the loose ends of the horse hair, and the remaining horsehair is left unbraided?

If anyone can share how this is done I would really appreciate it!! Thank you :)

horsehair.jpg

horsehair2.jpg

Most of the time people take horsehair and hitch it over the end. However some use rawhide or something and tie a pineapple knot. 

Personally, I just tie the knot in hair. But pretty much no one else does that. I think most people use one of the two techniques mentioned above.

On Tuesday, August 30, 2016 at 7:40 PM, HorsehairBraider said:

Most of the time people take horsehair and hitch it over the end. However some use rawhide or something and tie a pineapple knot. 

Personally, I just tie the knot in hair. But pretty much no one else does that. I think most people use one of the two techniques mentioned above.

Thank you for sharing.....I really want to learn how to hitch horsehair to make hatbands.....I am confident that I could learn how to do the pineapple or turks head knots, but I am still vague as to exactly how these people making horsehair hatbands finish off the hatbands

I would say they are hitching. That is what I always see.

Sadly I can not help you as I am strictly a braider. Hitching is a wonderful technique but I simply don't do it. Best of good fortune to you in learning how!

On 9/13/2016 at 11:59 AM, NDHoof said:

Did you figure it out or are you still needing help?

Still need help. It's not clear to me what people who make those beautiful horse hair and leather hatbands are doing, eg, how they are attaching the horsehair tassels to the leather....thanks for asking :)

That button is called a needle knot....You can get a good book on how to make them and how to hitch from Clay Christensen " How To Hitch Horsehair"...Book is $25 plus shipping... You can find him on Facebook...its a very well written book and I've gotten a lot people started hitching with it....

I’m just coming across this thread as I have braided some horse tail for a hat myself. I’m nearing the end point where I  need the knot & loose horse hair ends but am uncertain as to how this is done. There is not much on the internet around this topic, any suggestions would be helpful!