dikman

Singer "SV" machines

Yep, nice looking machine. Looks very much like a 111 head dropped onto a cylinder arm base. I like it.

As Mike said, it would probably be easier to just paint the base, if you can find a close match to the paint.

Not sure what Ill do with the paint, been lucky so far in that most machines Ive gotten the paint was pretty good just needed a cleaning. Ill go thru it mechanically and see how things are on the inside. Hopefully it isnt too wore out to start helping put together some bags. 

The guy I got it from said that he purchased another machine (some post bed old singer model) from a guy who worked at a glove factory in Pennsylvania somewhere and this machine was sitting in the room a little ways away. The guy said it hadnt been used in years and they didnt need it so it was bought along with the other machine. Or so the story goes. 

Figure an old glove making factory could use machines like this back in the day. Maybe they ordered it with some special attachment to help with glove making. If the story even has some factual truth to it that is. 

Edited by MADMAX22

Perhaps "SV" stood for "Stolen Version" since they later became regular subclasses :)  Can't see anything SPECIAL with them. 

I have had a few SV machines over the years and most were early versions of machines that later became standard while others were standard machines with a special attachment.

24KSV - I have it around somewhere - is a standard industrial 24k with an attachment to sew circles. The attachment was designed to sew Powder Puffs.I am going to dig this baby out as a close friend has a design that involves making circles

96KSV7 - 96k with reverse, replaced by the 96k41

133KSV12 - darning machine. Quite common in Australia as they were used to repair wool packs. Later formalised as, I think, the 133k19

Serial numbers.

Singer issued serial numbers of batches so they do not specify the build date. The machine was built sometime between when the batch was issued and the next batch for that machine type.

Usually batches for common machine types such as the 31 would have covered multiple versions as the serial number is just for the class.

Every now and then there are batches of serial numbers for 10 or 20 machines and these could represent SV's or a special rush order from sales - we will never know.

So given what everyone has contributed my machine is up in the air.

It was originally all black which I "think" was primarily older machines in the 153w world, it has similarities to the WWII era machines but cant prove it, but it also has a machined notch on the front with two tapped holes for some kind of attachment I presume.

So basically it could have been a special attachment machine or it could have been the predecessor to the regular 153w103.

Hi again, i have found an interesting list of sv machines but it is in pdf, how can i upload it here??

Singer Needles by Machine Class chart.pdf

Edited by northmount
uploaded file

4 hours ago, jimi said:

Hi again, i have found an interesting list of sv machines but it is in pdf, how can i upload it here??

Singer Needles by Machine Class chart.pdf

Thanks Tom for uploading.

Here is a list of machines and varieties of the various classes, which states its needle type, and the SV models are included. so you can get an idea of just how many there were!!. it does not list all of them. as you can see it says for example "for all sv models except......." but it does not give the list of all these models. but anyway it is a little bit closer to finding out a bit more about the SV models. Enjoy!

A guy on ebay had a W serial number machine listed with date of manufacture. I asked him how he determined the date and he said there were some list of W serial numbers out there that were not destroyed. Ofcourse when I asked if he could share the info he never responded :rolleyes:

Thanks for the list Jimi. 

Jimi, that list shows just how many different models Singer made, and that the SV designation goes right back to class 5!  I noticed that classes 68 and 69 had a very large number of SV machines listed. Fascinating.

Madmax, I remain sceptical about such lists (as, I suspect, you are too). I've yet to find any such references.

Saw this 31SV52 on CL. Not gonna pick it up but figured I would post the photos here. Kind of interesting, it has a reverse button apparently.  Wish he had taken better pics. Said it was a Army version, whole setup is semi portable.

00f0f_7UJ58d2nWlb_1200x900.jpg

00u0u_9Q3qQP1dXom_1200x900.jpg

00l0l_eHm3GvUr1hl_1200x900.jpg

That looks like the model that the Army Air Corps used to parachute out of planes to outfit remote encampments during WW2.  I wish I had it.

CD in Oklahoma

The standard head like that w/reverse is model# 31-32,so I might guess that when they put the clutch unit on it they made it a SV model because maybe they didn't make very many that way??

2 hours ago, CowboyBob said:

The standard head like that w/reverse is model# 31-32,so I might guess that when they put the clutch unit on it they made it a SV model because maybe they didn't make very many that way??

3 hours ago, Constabulary said:

too cool - would like to have one too :)

I would pick it up but not at $450 asking price

Would make a nice pull out drawer machine haha.

Edited by MADMAX22

Yes,it sure is nice looking! I wonder if he has the lid? 

It's on the Seattle Craigslist just search sewing machine if anyone wants to contact em. Has a 111w152 for sale also.

A Landis 13 chainstitch popped up on there too. 

9 hours ago, MADMAX22 said:

I would pick it up but not at $450 asking price

Would make a nice pull out drawer machine haha.

shipping to Germany would be a challenge :blink: - but maybe you can ask for an Air Drop over my house - tell the jumpmaster he has to look for purple smoke signals :lol:

Edited by Constabulary

My first post here, I just purchased a Singer 45KSV99 and i don´t know so much about it. Anyone knows how old this one can be? I have read the thread and the other 99 looks greyish and this is solid black so it must be older right?

Singer-45KSV99-01.jpg

Singer-45KSV99-02.jpg

Hello, very nice looking machine johan. looks like september 29th 1948. could you post some more close up pictures?? it is looking like the SV99 just maybe had reverse?? then it turned into a normal 45K92?? 

http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_machine_company/serial-numbers/singer-ee-series-serial-numbers.html

That looks to be in very good condition. Just wondering what the screw and locknut, to the left of the stitch length adjuster, is for?

7 hours ago, dikman said:

Just wondering what the screw and locknut, to the left of the stitch length adjuster, is for?

This is the "stitch length limiter" and the small lever is for locking it. The stitch length adjuster in this case is technically just a forward and reverse lever. You find it on some other Singer machines with reverse too not only on 45K´s. Its just a different type f.i. the Adler 4, 5 later 104 + 105 f.i. had screws and wing nuts for limiting the top and bottom stitch length but you had to regulate top and bottom separately. Singer did this with just one screw and lock lever which to me looks a bit more "discreet".