ffjdh

Straps cracking

I recently made my first set of suspenders for firefighters bunker pants.  I cut my strips of leather to shape and size then dip died the for about 2 min in fiebings pro oil die diluted 50/50 with DNA.  After letting the straps dry for a few days I worked in some EVOO to rehydrate and soften the straps.  I then let them dry for a few more days.  I then applied 2 coats of resoline.  After letting the straps dry another 24 hours I worked in some obenauf's heavy duty LP and riveted my suspenders together.

After a few uses of the suspenders I am already seeing some cracking where my straps connect to D rings that connect the suspenders to my bunker pants.

Where did I go wrong in this process?  And is their anything I can do to prevent failure of these suspenders?

image.jpeg

Generally, when you fold a thicker piece like that, you wet the back side down a bit, let it soak in a few minutes and then do the fold. 

Tom

My only suggestion would be to stitch close to the edge around the area where the leather will rub on the d ring and then rivet the end up in place.

2 hours ago, TomG said:

Generally, when you fold a thicker piece like that, you wet the back side down a bit, let it soak in a few minutes and then do the fold. 

Tom

At what point in the process is this done?  

Does this leather crack when you bend it over tight before any treatment? If it does I would not use it. If its just for yourself take at the studs and put in some webbing like the seat belt material.

5 minutes ago, RockyAussie said:

Does this leather crack when you bend it over tight before any treatment? If it does I would not use it. If its just for yourself take at the studs and put in some webbing like the seat belt material.

Their were no cracks before any treatment  . Their also weren't any cracks after I finished it and folder it over and riveted it.  

I think he cause may have been the D ring.  The strap was sitting in the curved portion of the D ring so I think extra pressure was put onto the sides.  I have now flipped the D ring over so the rounded part is in the snaps of my turnouts and the strap rests on a flat bar.  

I am hoping that  with the stress of any weight being put on these straps now being spread out over the flat side of the d ring, that the cracking will not get any worse.  

Can I glue or patch these cracks to help prevent them from getting worse?

No I would not bother, when and if it gets too bad cut back to the d and make a new loop go right over. This will reduce the stress and can look good if well done. A bit like this belt buckle holder I mean.

DSC08052_resize.JPG

Rocky thats a nice looking belt and I dont even care for those raised gator strap kind. Does that extra flap loop around the keeper in the back, is it all held on by the rivet/screw? Just kind of curious. 

FFJ I would take a second look at that leather your using. I assume its about 5oz or so? Hard to tell from thepick. Ya may wanna step it up a bit. I assume your bunker pants are like the bottom half of an FFE correct (wore those things alot in the navy). They are relatively heavy and dont necessarily move with your body well and can put far more stress then a normal pair of suspenders is use to seeing. 

Also ya could try out some of the ones  on this page, https://www.buckleguy.com/loops-and-sliders/?sort=featured&page=1 I understand you probably dont want to redo them but I wouldnt want those things breaking. 

Edited by MADMAX22

Hi MADMAX22, The flap does loop around the keeper at back and therefore stops it from swivelling. I prefer to show of the croc for that little bit extra. I am working on some pics at the moment on how this buckle holding extension Jig is made and a couple of pics here might help to clarify. Should have the pdf finished tomorrow I think.

DSC08047_resize.jpg

DSC00711_resize.JPG

Gotcha thanks Rocky, I didnt even connect that those little punch outs were what was being used on the belt there, getting slower as I get older. 

BTW your advice on the rectangles and sliders at the Buckleguy is spot on. Re the extension method it helps when people are buying as presents as they can get it shortened quite easily. And for getting older and slower, well so long as your getting wiser that's OK ;).

18 hours ago, MADMAX22 said:

FFJ I would take a second look at that leather your using. I assume its about 5oz or so? Hard to tell from thepick. Ya may wanna step it up a bit. I assume your bunker pants are like the bottom half of an FFE correct (wore those things alot in the navy). They are relatively heavy and dont necessarily move with your body well and can put far more stress then a normal pair of suspenders is use to seeing. 

The leather is just under 9oz.  That should be adequate for strength, right?  Not sure what FFE's are but these sound similar to what you are describing.

Yeah that should be fine weight wize. Maybe the stress, or being overly dry, or just a bad section of leather. 

FFE (fire fighting ensemble)  http://www.dcfpnavymil.org/Equipment Des/Systems-Equipment/Equipment/DCRS Kits/Firefighting Access Personnel Kit Complete/FF access kit Personel/ffe/ffe.htm

Hey Rocky thank you for the piece on the keeper. Very nice detail I will have to put in my memory bank!!!

you need to do all wet forming/molding before you apply your top coat (in this case, resolene)

hi Rocky,

your buckle extension method is a great idea to avoid turning horn back/exotic to eliminate cracking the gator or to just to add additional length when material is limited. 

thanks for sharing this clever idea!!

Fat Dog - Jeanne

6 hours ago, Fat Dog Leather said:

hi Rocky,

your buckle extension method is a great idea to avoid turning horn back/exotic to eliminate cracking the gator or to just to add additional length when material is limited. 

thanks for sharing this clever idea!!

Fat Dog - Jeanne

Thanks Jeanne. I hope you caught my post and video on the skiving machine roller.Check my You Tube if you haven't. You might want to follow as I have a heap more coming soon. The next one coming is on colour edging belts quickly by hand. I mostly use edging machines now but the rough edges on croc backstraps make finishing off by hand a better end result. Regards Brian

Brian, I am off to buy the roller foot for my skiver and if needed utilize your adaptions. Your advice is spot on for my alligator challenges.....thank you ! Thank you !  I look forward to future info. especially on edge work as exotics / gator is always a challenge. 

A huge hug from me to you! Jeanne