LouraLeather

Painting Natural Veg Tanned Leather White

Hey guys,

Recently I've had a request from a friend to make him a dog collar and a leash for his wedding,for his dog to bring them the wedding rings :D I couldn't find white leather yet, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips to paint natural veg tanned leather white, whith like an acrylic paint, a spray, and then apply some lacker to avoid smudging and cracking.

I'd aprreciate any tips!!

Thank you,

Lourenço

Why don't you get some white Doe Skin, laminate it to a heavier piece of veg tanned natural/or other, stitch and no paint to mess with.

Ferg

I'm on a tight schedule, it's for this weekend and I'm from Portugal, white doe skin is not very accessible around these parts unfortunately! But thanks anyway!

Acrylic paint certainly could work for this since it's for the wedding and it only needs to look perfect the first time.  I've had really good luck using acrylics on veg tan leather and having them hold up well.  I've even had a small wallet with a acrylic butterfly painted on it survive going through the washer not once but twice!  For a dog collar where there will be moisture and wear, I would think the paint would work off eventually but it will still look fine for next weekend.  Just make sure your leather is well cleaned before applying the paint.  If you oil your collars make sure the oil has plenty of time to soak in (at least 24 hours) before trying to paint.

NOTE: If you normally use Latigo or some other type of leather that comes with lots of oil or fats already in it, I don't know how well the paint will bond to it.  I just don't have any experience with those.

Hope this helps,

Bob

If you have an airbrush, it should be pretty simple to just use white acrylic paint.  You might have to do a few coats, but it should hold up for at least one weekend's worth of use.  I've painted the edges of veg. tanned bracelets before and they've held up quite well.

Edited by Grey Drakkon

Leave enough time to do more than one thin layer of the paint.  Often it takes more than one application for the white to completely cover the color behind it (depending on the paint).