semofir

Leather engraving over leather cases for iPhone 7

Hello to all lads. I am starting to make some leather cases for iPhone and wish to engrave (personalise) each item. I have search through the forum and there has been many examples. However I just wish to ask for a specific work. I just wonder if it is a laser engraving method over leather and may not decide whether is best method for engraving for achieving this result.
I would like if someone familiar to advice how the engraving method is made by those lads http://www.brussardo.com/leatherengraving. I wish in no way to copy their work but only to understand as I said the method of engraving. I wish engraving - personalization to achieve same look. I was already told they they use letterpress types instead of a laser or hand typing. Can someone familiar with process confirm. I should be very glad on respond.

Edited by semofir

This looks to me like they have used as you said letterpress types. The ones shown are either burne in on a black foil has been used.If you want to see some pictures of any lettersets let me know.  this link may be helpful -     http://www.belltype.com/index.html

they often use acid etched magnesium plates for the lettering dies, but any metal would work.  the head is hot.  you can make up a deal that goes on the drill press, soldering iron + metal design element,  just unplug the press first.

each different hot foil has its time/temp.  they are designed to be fast, like 250F for 2 seconds.  if it doesn't stick well then change the surface treatment of the leather.  There are hundreds of different foils./

the foil is from the top mylar then release agent then vapor deposited aluminum (or some other metal like what they put on mirrors) with color then hot glue  

you can also use the same setup to brand with just heat.   you need a rheostat on your soldering iron to do the tests.  

cheers  marty

Thank you for the help lads!

I have already found letterpress types on eBay different sizes (points). What is bothering me is that I will need to hold them in place when they are warmed up. I guess I will find a way out. And I hope that that is the method used in my post above.

These letter's are pressed in normally with the aid of an embossing press and the letters are held in a holder normally with screws. These would normally be supplied with the machine. Here is a couple of example pictures.Last pic shows the magnesium block method.

DSC07973_resize.JPG

DSC07977_resize.JPG

DSC07964_resize.JPG

4.jpg