CourtneyLynn

How to shorten fenders?

I'd like to apologize in advance, because this thread might not make a lot of sense. I have a saddle that fits my horse beautifully and fits me pretty well too. It's maybe half an inch larger than I like, but I've taken that as an excuse to eat more cake for dinner. ;)

However, I'm also very small and my stirrups are just a tad too long for me - I'm talking, one extra hole would be perfect. I've taken to wrapping my stirrup foot beds in vet wrap to make up that extra bit of space and it's working so far, but I'd like to do it right and shorten the fenders when I take the saddle in for some other work.

The problem is, there is no extra space to add an extra hole. I've got the stirrups as short as they'll go and the "flare" on the fender is right snug against the top of my stirrups. Reshaping the fenders in that spot will cut into the maker's mark, which I don't want to do. Is there some way to cut down the top of the fender instead and shorten them that way? I'm going to visit my saddler this weekend and I can ask him too, but I wanted to get some quick research in before I went there and looked like a dunce. :)

Thank you!

could you add a photo of your fenders ??

You can shorten the fender cutting it off of the top and shaping it to fit under your seat and have some stirrup freedom.  Stirrup leather can be shortened at the same time to allow you some adjustment.  If your fender is tooled, you will be cutting into the tooling pattern and across the borders.  Also, if it has a stitched edge, this will need to be considered.  You could also consider a petite stirrup, which is about 1" shorter than standard and about ½" narrower.

Keith

When I'm next at the barn, I'll grab a photo. Luckily, the fenders are not tooled or anything... just rough out with a rubbed edge.

I've looked for petite stirrups and unfortunately, they are hard to come by. I can order them from the States, but when you factor in the exchange and shipping to get them to Canada... it's cheaper to just re-work the fenders. :)

I would just make another set of fenders. And keep them to use when you get another saddle cause you will sale or trade the one you have now i bet. In the past I had a couple of saddles that the fenders had been shorten on and NOBODY wanted to buy them ! Lost money on everyone of those saddles.

I'm not too worried about resale on this thing since I only need to shorten it about an inch. Right now, it'll fit anyone from 5'4 and up to 6'2 or so. I don't really intend to sell it, but that's a good point. :) But that might be something for me to discuss with my saddler when I bring it in.

Shortening fenders is a very common repair in my shop. There are a lot of women (and a few men) who are just too short-legged for the fenders on production saddles. Most of these people have their mind made up when they bring the saddle. They aren't worried about resale; they want the saddle to work for THEM. However, most people are somewhat concerned about cost. It is sure cheaper to cut down a pair of fenders than it is to make a new set. For the folks who bring a saddle and don't know the options, I always thoroughly explain the ins and outs of shortening vs building new.  Quite often the saddle has been ridden enough that the stirrup leathers are not even in length anymore, as the leathers in production saddles aren't prestretched and I've even seen brand new saddles where the leathers aren't even. So typically I shorten and even them up when I have things apart.  Some fenders lend themselves to the process much easier than others. A wide fender with a lot of shape to it does not cut down as nicely as a cutting or barrel type fender.  I've seen some that were done by the owner or someone who had no clue what they were doing, and that DOES ruin the resale on a saddle. Normally, when I'm done with one, it is next to impossible to detect that anything was done without lifting the seat jockey or pulling the stirrup leather down so the top of the fender is visible. Done correctly, I don't believe it hurts the resale, in fact, in some cases, it can help it. Just my opinion:-)