Dunluce

Edge Finishing

As a relative beginner I have been trying edge finish with mixed results and I have a few questions here I hope someone might have some experience with: 

Has anyone tried the roller pens for applying edge finish (such as that sold by Tandy), are they worth it, do they give a nice clean edge?

What is the difference between Edge Kote and the more expensive dressing such as those sold by Fenice or Giardini?

Has anyone tried the Eco-Flo Edge Flex as compared to the two named above (it seems to be cheaper to buy)

The tapered roller tool is the best I have tried of all the tools. I have no experience with the Edge Kote. I have Fenice and Giardini.

My preference is Giardini. Lekoza has some colors of the Giardini and it is not expensive since it takes very little to do edges.

The tapered tool allows application without the paint running onto the surface of the leather.

As usual it takes some practice.

Ferg

I use toothpicks on thin leather and pencils for thick leather. The wood seems to hold the edge paint better than any of the metal tools

Edited by mickthedig

I am curious, have you used the tapered applicator from Tandy?

Ferg

I'm thinking of ordering one of those tapered applicators as well, although one for about half the price that I'd found on Amazon compared to what tandy wants.  Looks like the same thing to me.  I'm curious though to hear from folks that have used one of these as well.

I use the edge applicator that I bought from Tandy and it really works well.  Just dip in the edge paint and roll along the edge for a nice even coat of paint.  I have a bottle of black edge coat from Tandy that will probably dry out before I use it up!  Clean up takes 15 seconds - just hold it under the faucet for a few seconds and it rinses clean.

Additionally:

Keep an old toothbrush handy, at the sink, if you are edge painting a fairly large piece, the paint begins to gel on the roller before you are finished.

Secondly:

A small container of water setting close by on your workspace will come in handy if the paint is beginning to get a little sticky on the applicator. Make sure

you have some clean paper towel handy also, it will be needed to dry off the water left on the applicator before you put it back into your paint.

Ferg

Good tips Ferg - I haven't finished any large pieces - mostly small items like eyeglass cases and wallets, so has not been an issue yet.  I'll take your advice when I work on a larger item!

A pencil works well as an applicator too.  Was mentioned in another thread here.  I've used it a few times since.  Works well for me.  Don't have the slots in the Tandy applicator to clean out, just wipe with a rag or paper towel.

Tom