venator

Guitar Straps

Those don't look bad at all. Got my son a guitar for Christmas, and made a strap kit for him to tool and finish himself. It turned out pretty nice, and he has been getting a lot of people asking where he got it. Never having made a guitar strap, it didn't come out as nice as your's, but still... people like custom hand crafted over stamped out by machine in whatever country they were made in. Rock on!

Well I've got two years in this leatherworking thing but this is my first time making guitar straps. . . also my first time trying to stamp a basketweave so over all I'm super happy with how well they came out.  Turns out the key to dying is an airbrush.  I've had nothing but issues trying to dye my stuff, then I finally busted out the airbrush we've had for almost two years and boom, problems vanish.  lol

I needs to learn to do airbrushing, but that is something I never had luck with in the past. I can spray a car or a pay phone, but anything finer like that is out of my league. As for your basket weave, it looks perfectly fine. Better than my past 2 attempts. I think I ruined the weave when I tried to wet form the holsters around the gun. Up till that point, it looked great. Keep it up, you found your niche.

It's funny, I'm no good at drawing, painting etc.  But man when it comes to airbrushing leather all of a sudden it's like "oh. . .this is easy as &$#%***".  Weird.

Yeah I'm happy with how its all turned out.  You can actually see the evolution in the straps and my process if I put them side by side in order of construction too.

I've never made a guitar strap.  On the adjustable end, does the top flap curl around on a snap to keep it in place?  If not, how does it get secured?  Thanks

It is a keyhole button hole punched, and it slips over a stud on the guitar.

2 hours ago, TonyRV2 said:

I've never made a guitar strap.  On the adjustable end, does the top flap curl around on a snap to keep it in place?  If not, how does it get secured?  Thanks

I'll snap some pics tomorrow

Thanks! I appreciate it!

Nice work.

Chief

Thank you.  Those pictures were very helpful!

On 2016-09-13 at 2:04 PM, roxannelovelace1974 said:

Nice work and thanks for the great pictures to show how it works. 

Happy to help.