oxeyenyc

Uneven Tension

Hi y'all!

I recently converted a Singer 31-15 to a roller foot, with success (i think?!)...now though the tension on the machine is out of wack--it will be fine, then the bobbin thread will be loose on top of the leather.  The tension seemed fine before the conversion... (full disclosure: I just got this machine and when I bought it it was working fine when the seller showed it.  Upon getting it home, I immediately swapped the head onto my previous table/motor and did the roller conversion...so it is a new table/motor/belt/foot from what it was set up when I saw it working fine...)

So far I have tried:

adjusting top/bottom tensions

removing and cleaning tension discs

re-threading/trying different needle sizes and styles.  also trying different leathers (body/thickness)

adjusting the top pressure screw

removed shuttle race, cleaned and put back in

I've also been watching how the thread from the spool is feeding, and it seems fine...the tension spring seems to be engaging with every stitch...

I've attached photos of the inconsistent tension, as well as of the tension discs (which seem to have slightly inconsistent wear patterns, but it seems odd that this would become a problem all of a sudden.  From reading previous posts with similar issues, it seems that it could be any number of issues--if anyone has some guidance I am much obliged!

Dana

IMG_3555.JPG

IMG_3556.JPG

Nice test pattern.  Is that the original needle your working with or a new one?  What size thread\needles are you using on the top and bottom? I "borrowed"  this chart that helps me. 

sewing_tension.jpg

I have converted two of my straight stitch machines into roller foot machines and have learned that the bottom of the roller must almost touch the left edge of the needle to form correctly placed knots into thin/soft/floppy leather. Chrome Excel is part of that group. You need to get the bottom edge of the roller as close as physically possible to keep the leather from lifting and messing up the knot placement.