rcistarlite1

Corner Stitch Machine help

Hello I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction. we need to do a leather corner 90 degree stitch on items similar to the pictures I have attached. we do not want to do this by hand but would prefer a machine without breaking the bank. I was told the Campbell would do this but heard the landis 12., Can anyone tell me the best machine for this ? I was told it can be done with a singer 97-10 or a 29k60. im kind of stuck here any help would be very well appreciated. thank you very much best RC  

corner1.jpg

corner2.jpg

http://needlebar.org/cm/displayimage.php?album=243&pid=3328#top_display_media

Hi There, in the posts above you have some pictures of the 45kSV100 corner stitcher and in the topic there is a PDF explaining a little about the machine. these were designed to do this kind of work but there were very few made. i saw one on ebay a few months back in the states so keep a look out. but it could break your bank! 

SIL10-074-143a.jpg

and this is a singer class 17 with the ring feed dog and a support to do this corner stitch. i have never seen one of these supports but iam sure you could make one. you just need to find out if you could sew it with a normal feed dog and what kind of foot they used. the 45kSV 100 is a needle feed machine, that can make a big difference meaning it will not leave teeth marks on the leather. hope this helps, regards jimi.

8 hours ago, jimi said:

http://needlebar.org/cm/displayimage.php?album=243&pid=3328#top_display_media

Hi There, in the posts above you have some pictures of the 45kSV100 corner stitcher and in the topic there is a PDF explaining a little about the machine. these were designed to do this kind of work but there were very few made. i saw one on ebay a few months back in the states so keep a look out. but it could break your bank! 

SIL10-074-143a.jpg

and this is a singer class 17 with the ring feed dog and a support to do this corner stitch. i have never seen one of these supports but iam sure you could make one. you just need to find out if you could sew it with a normal feed dog and what kind of foot they used. the 45kSV 100 is a needle feed machine, that can make a big difference meaning it will not leave teeth marks on the leather. hope this helps, regards jimi.

Hi jimi thank you very much. You said that the 45ksv100 is a needle feed machine. we have a singer 97-10 we have I think is a needle feed machine and cylinder arm.(they said its like the Ferdinand bull machine) do you think this will work if we made the correct fittings ?

HI, in the PDF it says that it is a needle feed, maybe you could make a jig to hold your work similar to the 17k one and see how it goes? having a 97 then it is just a case of trying it out? you may have to make a slanted needle plate but iam almost sure if you had the right fittings you could do it?? the 45ksv100 has no foot, instead it has an arm that goes into your work. i imagine this will be to hold it while the needle pulls through? tell me how you get on and good luck. jimi

2 hours ago, jimi said:

HI, in the PDF it says that it is a needle feed, maybe you could make a jig to hold your work similar to the 17k one and see how it goes? having a 97 then it is just a case of trying it out? you may have to make a slanted needle plate but iam almost sure if you had the right fittings you could do it?? the 45ksv100 has no foot, instead it has an arm that goes into your work. i imagine this will be to hold it while the needle pulls through? tell me how you get on and good luck. jimi

Thanks for your information Jimi. We will try. I also wanted to say that we recently picked up an Automatic Singer 68 SV machine CAM which is a box X machine. We use it on 5/8" thick cotton webbing with 138 thread. The guy we bought it from said it was a special varient but when looking up info on it I hit dead ends.. Your info here has been really helpful

your welcome. there is a topic started on the forum about the SV machines if you are interested.

In this pdf from 2006 there is a picture of a special order french corner box stitching attachment for an artisan 441 style machine.

http://www.newknoxville.net/lookinhere/ArtisanSew/files/SparePartsSheet.pdf

Could be copied pretty easy, and may still be available. How well it works is the other question.

7 hours ago, TinkerTailor said:

In this pdf from 2006 there is a picture of a special order french corner box stitching attachment for an artisan 441 style machine.

http://www.newknoxville.net/lookinhere/ArtisanSew/files/SparePartsSheet.pdf

Could be copied pretty easy, and may still be available. How well it works is the other question.

Thank you very much for your help

I have the French box stitcher attachment for the Tippmann Boss.  It looks very similar to the Artisan unit.  I have tried to use it on a number of occaisions with very limited success.  Like others have said, you need at least 3 hands to operate it with the Boss.  It is also limited by its inability to adjust the stitch row distance from the edge of the box.  The stitch line is around 1/8" from the edge and you pretty much need to miter the leather edges to get a good seam.  Some means of adjusting the distance from the box edge to the needle would be a valuable feature.  I also had a tough time getting consistent stitches ( both in length and tension).  As far as turning a corner 90 degrees - forget it.

I eventually used it as a hole puncher on long runs (fishing rod case) and hand stitched the box seams.  If you have any protruding features like snaps, belt loops, straps or buckles, they will interfere with seam alignment and will mess up the stitch line.  I find it almost as easy to do it the old fashioned way with a conventional awl  and harness needles per the directions in Stohlman's book. 

Unless you can set it up to sew one specific product on a dedicated machine, I found it to be a p.i.t.a. to  adjust and configure.  I wish it worked better.  If it did, I'd make more boxes and cases.

Hello from Stockholm! You need this machine!  Check instagram :

nystromsthlm

regards

magnus