helena

Mystery nut comes out of machine while sewing??!! Singer 153

Flabagasterd ...I am sewing and this screw falls out do not have a clue to where it goes!!

I did not put many minutes sewing on this machine and finally was sewing for a minute (I had aways found trouble prior)

IMG_20160904_200716.jpg

That is not a "nut"  that is a screw ..look like some kind of grub screw..to hold something in place..in your place I would stop sewing right now..take the machine ( and the screw ) to a machine mechanic and get it fixed and set up professionally before you break something very expensive and maybe irreparable and get left with a boat anchor..also the screw might have been holding something which now is going to be loose and may result in a piece breaking and flying off and injuring you..

Having read few of your posts it seems time to say ( without being unkind in any way ) you appear to be way out of your depth with your machine, spend the money and get it set up professionally, and learn what the parts are called, a screw is not a nut..a nut goes onto a screw or a bolt..a nut has sides ( 4 or 6 or sometimes more ) and has a threaded hole through the middle of it, through which a screw or bolt is  inserted and turned to tighten the assembly and whatever else it is designed to be holding..

Edited by mikesc

Hi Helena, do you have an illustrated parts manual for your machine??

http://dixiesewingmachine.tzo.com/MANUALS/SINGERPARTS10/153W103.pdf

on the first page of the parts (the one opposite the illustration of the machine), there are two arms. one short and one long #240126 and #264112 which is the small arm on the long shaft. it could possibly come from there. this screw is the typical one that is used on these moving arms. there should be a nut that goes on the back, but iam not sure because this parts book does not show a lot of detail.

It's ( Z ) pictured on fig 18a on this machine.

147302390994428717317.jpg

That looks like its going to be "just great" putting back in. I'm sure you have better patience than I.

Is the front access cover panel give a view to this area at all. That would be super!

good luck, and you can do it! just clean the threads and find the other parts.

Possibly some tweezers or hemostats on the backside nut to get it started, but I would clean oil from threads and check well.

Floyd