It has been a while since I poster here since I have mostly been focusing on wood working.  The other day I decided to do a little crossover project and make a wood and leather messenger bag.   The gussets are made out of Ambrosia Maple. The leather is 5/6oz.  Overall dimensions are roughly 12x15. This is a project for me, but I've already had a lot of interest in it.  I may make a few more.

mXs9wO6.jpg

N3TolIY.jpg

Ee89pey.jpg

ZKl5RHG.jpg

KL4t2n9.jpg

That is awesome. Can I steal the concept?

Not a problem.  I think the design has been around for a long while.  I've seen some wood gusset bags that are pre-1800.

2 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

That is awesome. Can I steal the concept?

This should help you out as well if you choose to make one.

Nice bag @SmokeCigars

Karina

Thanks. I may make some other hybrids. Maybe one of these too.

That is gorgeous!  

I have made a couple of smaller bags using a similar technique but I never loved the way I attached the straps. I have one in production right now and considered the slots but cant figure out how to make them nice in the wood without a router and jig which I no longer have access too. How did you do your slots for the straps?

Nice work by the way!! That will attract ALOT of attention!

How about a couple of different size dowels to make a hefty sam brown stud sort of thing. Just a thought and doesn't need a router just a drill and a sander I'd say.

16 hours ago, Boriqua said:

I have made a couple of smaller bags using a similar technique but I never loved the way I attached the straps. I have one in production right now and considered the slots but cant figure out how to make them nice in the wood without a router and jig which I no longer have access too. How did you do your slots for the straps?

Nice work by the way!! That will attract ALOT of attention!

To make the slots I drilled out a bulk of the material with a forstner drill bit, then removed the rest with a chisel.  Same way you make a mortise joint if you want to see the technique done on youtube.

Drill out holes at the end of each slot with a brad-point bit, then use a coping saw to cut the slot.  Same principles as cutting a slot in leather using a round punch for each end of the slot, and a knife to cut between.

The brad-point bit is similar to a forstner bit.  Drills a cleaner hole than a typical twist drill.

Tom