Billosauro

Singer42-5

G'day guys! I'm new here,I got no idea on how to work this,tags,topics thinghy,sorry,I just got myself a 42-5 but unfortunately she's missing the long beak bobbin assembly and the tension assembly,could anyone of you guys give me a hand to find the missing parts? Thanks for any help!!

Moved your request to leather sewing machines.  You'll probably get more answers here.

Tom

4 hours ago, Billosauro said:

G'day guys! I'm new here,I got no idea on how to work this,tags,topics thinghy,sorry,I just got myself a 42-5 but unfortunately she's missing the long beak bobbin assembly and the tension assembly,could anyone of you guys give me a hand to find the missing parts? Thanks for any help!!

Place a parts wanted ad in our Classifieds section, called The Marketplace, under Sewing Machines > Used. If anybody has these partw and doesn't need them, they may sell them to you.

FWIIW: I had a hard time even finding bobbins for my 42-5. Replacement parts haven't been available for many decades. As for the tension disks, you're better off drilling it out and tapping the head for a modern butterfly tension assembly. Just be aware that there is no tension release system at all on this model.

Sometimes its good to post pictures of the machine / the parts (if available) or pictures from a parts list. Some folks have unknown spare parts floating around and sometimes parts from other machines will fit too.

So from just looking at the 42-5 I would guess that the tension unit of a Singer 16 or Singer 17  could fit

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xtension+singer+16.TRS0&_nkw=tension+singer+16&_sacat=0&_oac=1

I think this is the shuttle hook

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/store/HSH11-HOOK-and-BASE-HIROSE

Edited by Constabulary

10 hours ago, Billosauro said:

Hi,

here are some pictures of a machine including tension and shuttle. https://sites.google.com/site/oldironmachines/home/singer-42-5

And here is some conflicting info on the shuttle, if I read that correctly: http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_machine_company/model-list/classes-1-99.html

Greets

Ralf C.

Depending on where you live, there may be an industrial machine dealer nearby if you are near a large city.   A great many of them have an assortment of old machines available to cannibalize in their storage areas.   I am in the Atlanta, Ga. area, and found a couple of very cooperative dealers with available parts.  You might have to go on a personal search through their storage area to find what you need, because they often have no idea what machines they have available, and very often nothing is cataloged.   One of my dealers had 42-5 bobbins in stock, that I got because I had correct part numbers from on-line catalogs.  There is a certain amount of small parts interchangeability, but you will have to determine that for yourself, as there are no cross-reference catalogs that I know of.   Once it is up and running, you will find the 42-5 to be an excellent machine.   Happy hunting !!     

Hi Yetibelle!

i head a look on the part list for the 42-5 and there are more than one shuttle and bobbins with different numbers for it,witch one is the right one? Are they for different materials/thikness? If so witch one would I need for leather? I tried and put some pics on here but it only accepts 1.4 MB...... what to do???

Thanks!  ;))

I think I need the whole thing!!!

Ill be wonderful if u can help! 

Thanks again! Bill ;))

On 08/09/2016 at 4:01 PM, Constabulary said:

Sometimes its good to post pictures of the machine / the parts (if available) or pictures from a parts list. Some folks have unknown spare parts floating around and sometimes parts from other machines will fit too.

So from just looking at the 42-5 I would guess that the tension unit of a Singer 16 or Singer 17  could fit

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xtension+singer+16.TRS0&_nkw=tension+singer+16&_sacat=0&_oac=1

I think this is the shuttle hook

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/store/HSH11-HOOK-and-BASE-HIROSE

That is not the correct hook!!!!!

The Hirose HSH-1-1 is what you need Bill but the one in the picture is the HSH-1-1N which only fits one Singer 11 class machine.

I have linked a HSH-1-1 hook regarding their parts number so I guess the picture is wrong.

Edited by Constabulary

6 hours ago, Constabulary said:

I have linked a HSH-1-1 hook regarding their parts number so I guess the picture is wrong.

There is the HSH-1-1 and the HSH-1-1N which are similar but the frame is reversed. I do not think Hirose make the "N" version anymore as it only fits one version of the Singer 11 and possibly one of the Tailor machines so the shuttle in the picture is probably Chinese and worth $US100 retail at most.

Several sites are showing this picture and I think it is because China has ed up and is making the wrong shuttle.

You might try calling Ralph's sewing in Denver.  They bought out a lot of parts from Singer some tome ago.   Phone # 1-303-455-6831.

glenn

15 hours ago, shoepatcher said:

You might try calling Ralph's sewing in Denver.  They bought out a lot of parts from Singer some tome ago.   Phone # 1-303-455-6831.

glenn

Thank you Glenn I'll try that!

Old stock is the best bet

16 hours ago, Darren Brosowski said:

Old stock is the best bet

Where do you find the old stock? ;)

Billosauro appears to be located in Balga, Western Australia, 6061, Australia  based on his IP address.

So our Australian members may be of more help than elsewhere in trying to find accessible and affordable parts, if there are any in Australia.  Having said that, I'm sure that help from any location is welcomed.

Tom

My Singer 42-5 came with several hook/bobbin case assemblies. The hook part# is 13268, which I did not see in the parts list. The bobbin case p/n is 13258. I'll keep one extra for myself and am willing to part with the rest for those who need one to get up and running.