Hey All,

Brand new to leather  and could use some serious help!  I made a double magazine holster (very first project that I didn't scrap) but totally spaced on the belt loop on the back...dumb I know!!   But that got me to thinking...How do I install a belt loop without cutting it apart and sewing one on?  I was thinking of putting IWB/OWB clips on it as an alternative  so I could use it both ways but could use your expertise!!   Keep in mind I am BRAND NEW and hand sew still and have very limited tools.... 

Thanks in advance!!

if you had a pic of what you are working with it may help us come up with ideas. pics of front and back would be helpful

So this is the back and  I would like to create something that I can put both iwb and owb.   This one I just need to fix my mistake...  Forgot the belt loop.  

image.jpeg

Kinda had some other help so I think I know what I want , it will just be a matter of actually doing it right...  I'll post what it turns out to look like.

Well, it's just a mag pouch, right?  So, what if'n' a fella wazta put a line 16 snap through the front AND a short strap, then put the other half the snap on the other end of the strap, which would be long enough to go around the belt and snap. Two straps - one each side - would let a fella wear it as a inny or a outty.

As them MN folks would say.. aguycould do that..

5 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

Well, it's just a mag pouch, right?  So, what if'n' a fella wazta put a line 16 snap through the front AND a short strap, then put the other half the snap on the other end of the strap, which would be long enough to go around the belt and snap. Two straps - one each side - would let a fella wear it as a inny or a outty.

As them MN folks would say.. aguycould do that..

Fer sure!!   My only concern would be scratching the mags as they go in and out...not that it's a huge deal but some people like to keep their stuff neat and pretty looking...  How would the back side of the snap not scratch??   Should I invest in some liner???  If so, what's the best to work with without putting too much money into it??

Uhh.. well -- if you was concerned about that, then aguycould put the snap on a separate piece of leather, and then sittch that piece of leather to the leather .... of the mag pouch...  so that the snap was trapped between layers.

two small pieces... no wider than a mag, square, set snap in it... sew the piece to the pouch.. wrap stsrap on belt and mark positon of other snap end... only sewing you need to do is accessible at the top.

18 hours ago, USMCLoneWolf said:

Fer sure!!   My only concern would be scratching the mags as they go in and out...not that it's a huge deal but some people like to keep their stuff neat and pretty looking...  How would the back side of the snap not scratch??   Should I invest in some liner???  If so, what's the best to work with without putting too much money into it??

USMC, . . .

Here is THE pattern that I like the best, . . . it can be made out of one piece of leather, . . . fold it on the dotted line after you have installed the snaps, . . . sew the edges, . . . voila you have it done.  

There should be zero concern for "scratching the mags" as the piece holding the male part of the snap, . . . if it is installed correctly, . . . will be imbedded far enough into the leather that it should never scratch.  

To relieve your mind, . . . when you apply the finish, . . . put a couple coats of Resolene 50/50 down inside the mag carrier, . . . it will not scratch them.

But if you are still worried, . . . after you put on the snaps, . . . line the inside with 2 or 3 oz pigskin, . . . but that is overkill in my estimation.  Cut the pigskin large, . . . contact cement it in place, . . . trim it to fit your veggie tan leather.

The first picture shows the placement of the snap parts.

The second picture shows dimensions, . . . you should be able to cut it from them.  NOW, . . . that is a mag carrier for a 1911, .45 ACP, . . .you may have to adjust it for any other magazine.

The third picture shows a variation I like.  Instead of folding on the dotted line, . . . you cut the dotted line.  Then sew it so that the opening for the mags is up at the end where the straps snap.  This works especially well if the mag holder has to be taken on and off during the day.   

The reason for two straps, . . . it can then straddle a belt loop, . . . making sure it does not slide around on you.

May God bless,

Dwight

mag pattern 1.JPG

mag pattern 2.JPG

mag pattern 5.jpg

mag pattern 6.jpg

43 minutes ago, Dwight said:

USMC, . . .

Here is THE pattern that I like the best, . . . it can be made out of one piece of leather, . . . fold it on the dotted line after you have installed the snaps, . . . sew the edges, . . . voila you have it done.  

There should be zero concern for "scratching the mags" as the piece holding the male part of the snap, . . . if it is installed correctly, . . . will be imbedded far enough into the leather that it should never scratch.  

To relieve your mind, . . . when you apply the finish, . . . put a couple coats of Resolene 50/50 down inside the mag carrier, . . . it will not scratch them.

But if you are still worried, . . . after you put on the snaps, . . . line the inside with 2 or 3 oz pigskin, . . . but that is overkill in my estimation.  Cut the pigskin large, . . . contact cement it in place, . . . trim it to fit your veggie tan leather.

The first picture shows the placement of the snap parts.

The second picture shows dimensions, . . . you should be able to cut it from them.  NOW, . . . that is a mag carrier for a 1911, .45 ACP, . . .you may have to adjust it for any other magazine.

The third picture shows a variation I like.  Instead of folding on the dotted line, . . . you cut the dotted line.  Then sew it so that the opening for the mags is up at the end where the straps snap.  This works especially well if the mag holder has to be taken on and off during the day.   

The reason for two straps, . . . it can then straddle a belt loop, . . . making sure it does not slide around on you.

May God bless,

Dwight

mag pattern 1.JPG

mag pattern 2.JPG

mag pattern 5.jpg

mag pattern 6.jpg

I will have to give this a whirl!   I guess i never thought that the back of the snaps would sink in... never clicked that its porous like skin is so it can squish...    are there any snaps to avoid bc they are a waste of time or??  Id love to do snaps just dont want crap.  

There are some smaller ones than I use, . . . I think the terminology is "Line 20" snaps, . . . 

I use only line 24 snaps, . . . they're kinda beefy, . . . work well for all I do.

Just do not use the snap setting tools that Tandy sells, . . . they are hard to use, . . . and don't set as well as the tool I have, . . . bought it at Hobby Lobby.

http://www.hobbylobby.com/Fabric-Sewing/Sewing-Quilting-Notions/Fasteners/5-8-Heavy-Duty-Fastener-Plier-Kit/p/109268

You have to get your first bag of line 24 snaps, . . . and some scrap leather, . . . and practice setting them.  This tool does a great job, . . . but you cannot "hog" the thing, . . . just squeeze it and let it do it's thing.  You'll waste $10 or $15 worth of snaps, . . . but it'll be worth it when you "learn how to do it".

May God bless,

Dwight