Cm1

Making a child's belt

I'm fairly new to leather craft only been doing this for a year ( I'm still learning so forgive me if I'm not up to speed with everything especially with making belts there still a challenge for me ).  I want to make a child's belt for a family member . the baby is only a month old. 

I'm going to be making the belt using a belt blank . But the areas I need help with mostly are the sizing measurements as I'd like it to fit him for a bit as he grows . but also finding the center of the belt for stamping his name . and any other bits of info you all think would be helpful!  

Any tips would be greatly appreciated !  

Thank you .

Jls Leather has a sizing pdf for free on his website. As a matter of fact he has lots of free patterns that you may find fun to start building.

First thing you should know is have fun.

Wait ... so you're making a belt for a 1 mo old?

With the little ones -- say like usually under 12 or 14 -- I size the same way as always, but I use a short buckle.  And by short, I mean length-wise.  

bucklesize2.gifThe length of the buckle is part of the "size" of the belt.  Longer buckle put on the same belt equals longer belt.

So then, using a short (length) buckle and making the belt fit is a starting point.  

And it's common to make belts with 5, 6, or 7 adjustment holes, the size being the middle one.  When he/she grows the belt can be moved to then next hole.

But if you put the name in the middle to begin, then each move of the belt causes the name to move half of that.  Other words, gain 1", the name will be "off" by 1/2".  So by the time you are "out of holes" on the belt, you "could" replace the buckle with one 2" longer and it would be back in teh middle hole, but the name will be off about 1" - which looks not wonderful, simply.  And that's if the buckle is centered.. but see below.

SO THEN, you can ..

• Make the belt to fit now, and when the child grows, make another one and keep this one for the memory.
  • Make the belt with a short buckle, and replace with a longer buckle when needed.  In this case, I usually use initials at the tip instead of name in the back.  This way, when the kid is bigger and the buckle is bigger making the belt bigger, the "name" is still right where it was.

Open.jpg

OH, one more thing.. for the placement of the name it MATTERS how the buckle / belt is worn.  We would all agree that them big whoppin' trophy buckles get worn centered on the front.  But some people wear heel bar buckles (or ranger) or center bar buckles with the bar directly over the seam in the clothing.  I know some old jarheads (once a jarhead ...) who haven't been in service for years but still wear a belt with the tip of the buckle lined up with the material overlap, so all teh buckle is to the left of the seam.  Been meaning to add that to my little sketch thingie ...

Edited by JLSleather

I would add that the first hole in a belt for a baby should fit today's waist.  Allowing the belt to be used longer before it gets too small.  And like JLS says, name won't stay centred, so think about his suggestion of initials at the tip.  The leather thickness can be reduced too, as well as the width.  But too narrow means very hard to tool.

Tom

Thank you for all the information guys I really appreciate it !!  And yes I know it sounds a bit far fetched for a 1 month old  (a family member asked if I could do it for them) and I'll do anything for family .

I'm definitely going to be scratching the name on the back for initals on the end tab of the belt instead .  

But all the tips and info are going to be put to good use ! Fingers crossed this belt comes out well ! And I do the measurements correctly for a nice fit .  

Thanks again!! 

Maybe you could do their initials several times in a row. 

Since you know the "customer" will be outgrowing the belt, you could get a little fancy and put the initials as Dwight suggested then split the length in 3 sections and put the child's birthday on it or mom and dad's initials then when he is done wearing it, it could be put away as a keep sake to show his future wife when he gets older :)

Also consider using buckle sets that are typically sold for leather hat bands.  Will be smaller and more 'dainty' suitable for a baby.

Tom