I've searched high and low over the internet trying to find the rubber track that is used in making a 'Ratchet Belt'. It must be a guarded secret as I can't find a single listing telling what the material is, or what the source is. Now,  there must be a hundred different companies that make these type of belts; one would think it would be pretty easy to find the parts used in one of these belts. To me it looks like some form of timing belt material but that's just a best guess. Anyone out these know what the rubber track is and where I can buy some of it?

Thanks,

Steve

rachetbelt.png

I know what I am going to post wont help, but, I know that I saw some the product the rail is you will being offered from someone but just cant recall where?  Like some other gimmicks ya gotta wonder if it is actually any good, they ship it to you as one long belt then you cut off the excess to fit.  Without sewing the end, I would sort of be cautious of the stability of the belt, not to mention the leather, the thickness, and quality.  Is it just a new marketing idea that some Asian company came out with?  In a way its to bad that we and I sort of say this loosely because were all at different levels, but like to be considered artisans.  With that being said there is no marking or association that I know of anyway that contributes or that we can draw from for stats and other forms of input that we as a again a group can turn to for info.  Like the PPoA the Professional Photographers of American that has marketing ideas and support from major suppliers more so than what I see here.  Well I think I was rambling sorry.

look at snowboard bindings. They use ratchets like this. The track should be easy, the buckle not so much.

Image result for snowboard binding strap

here is a belt for 10 bucks that has a buckle and track ready to be cut out and sewn into your project.
https://www.amazon.com/Vbiger-Leather-Sliding-Buckle-Ratchet/dp/B00UT823WQ/ref=pd_lpo_193_bs_lp_t_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=GMAN6DEAM6R34RXEZ1PM

TinkerTailor and OLDNSLOW, thanks for the replies. Yes, it's possible that the rubber track could be from a snowboard buckle or something like that, I hadn't thought of that. I'll drop by my local sporting goods store and do some further research.

As to the belt, I bought one, not a cheap one, it cost me 45.00. I too was concerned with the whole cutting it to fit thinking the stitching would unravel once cut. For some reason, it didn't and the belt seems to work pretty well. I probably have 15 or 20 belts in a box that I have worn out since I first started making them. We'll see how this holds up.

I want the rubber track, so I can make my own belt, probably not for sale but so I can make it to size out of top-grain leather.

If I find the material, I'll post it so anyone who would like to make on can find the parts to do so.

Steve

10 bucks a belt for a buckle and a track is actually pretty cheap hardware wise, The belts in the link i posted are cheap enough to be your source. Probably only take 5 mins to get that track out of the belt with a stitch ripper.

not sure if the original poster found the source for the track, but leathercraftpattern.com has it on their website take a look there for it, I found it tonight as I was looking at their website.