superpacker

Horse Leather (Not Shell) For Wallets

Been making some nice card cases from 3-4 oz veg tan. Want to try horse. I know shell cordovan is the go to, but want to try something else. To my understanding the other options are SHF, DHF, and Strip. I struggle to understand the various weights of horse leather, and which type would be best for this purpose, as well as the desired ounce weight (as I understand it, a slightly slimmer horse leather can be used compared to veg due to its density). In short, looking for a thick horse leather comparable to 3-4 oz veg tan for making card case wallets. Thanks!

I get single and double horse fronts from Maverick. They come in thicknesses just like the veg tan. I have found I can go with a lighter weight in horse hide than I can veg tan. It holds up well. 

DHF double horse front, SHF single horse front. Kind of like double shoulder and single shoulder with cow leather. 

2 hours ago, MADMAX22 said:

DHF double horse front, SHF single horse front. Kind of like double shoulder and single shoulder with cow leather. 

Thanks. So is that the 2-3 ounce? What's the diff between DHF and SHF?

Thanks for the clarification. From what it looks like online, 2 oz seems like a clothing leather or leather for soft bags or wallet interiors. Doesn't appear stiff. It seems like you would at least need 3 oz and probably more like 3-4 to make a wallet. Is that correct?

Sorry I havent played with the horse fronts but plan too. Pretty sure you can get them in the 3oz range. Double horse front should be about twice as big sq/ft area.

3-4 ounce horse is what I use for all my wallets. 

I've got some Horween horse from Maverick. I think said 3-4  but it seems more like 2 oz. It would work for a wallet exterior.