Hornbag73

Punch sharpening

I bought some punches round and oblong from Tandy Leather and when they arrived they are blunt and don't cut well. Instead of returning them i would like to know how to sharpen them . I thought maybe a sanding stick of some kind along the bevel to resharpen the cutting edge. Any thought would be greatly appreciated.

This is one of my videos from my uksaddlery YouTube channel

Thank you that will help a lot 

I'm always happy to help. Have a look at my you tube.   The one one how to hold your hands to get a perfect stitch is my most popular one. Then my how to make q handbag in six minutes is my second popular 

Thanks again i have now subscribed to you channel 

The first couple of punches I bought were from Tandy. They all arrived dull, and they simply don't take a good edge.  I've since bought more than a dozen from Osborne and have been much happier with them. They take and hold a much better edge.

BTW: The  fellow who told me to buy Osborne was the manager of my local Tandy store. 

On 9/12/2016 at 7:44 AM, Hornbag73 said:

I bought some punches round and oblong from Tandy Leather and when they arrived they are blunt and don't cut well. Instead of returning them i would like to know how to sharpen them . I thought maybe a sanding stick of some kind along the bevel to resharpen the cutting edge. Any thought would be greatly appreciated.

good morning,

This is Daniel with C.S. OSBORNE & CO
We do not sell thru Tandy but if interested in purchasing our punches i'd be happy to refer you to a local distributor.
Also on YouTube if your search C.S. OSBORNE we have a video on how to sharpen our punches, edgers, and blades for our splitting machines using our sharpening stones and not having to buy a expensive machine for a simple job :) 
you can email me at: cso@csosborne.com and i can send you a direct link 

thank you
Daniel
Sales