Cheez

applying makers mark

Hello, I am to this sight and a new leather worker.

I have been through many pages throughout this forum trying to suck in as much info as possible.

My leatherwork is coming along really well and I just ordered a makers mark. I am finally proud enough of my work to put my name on it.

Question: Can I apply my makers mark after dying belt?

I know this would be better to do before dying, however I am running close on time for a birthday gift and I haven't received makers mark as of yet. Should be here in a week or so.

This is my plan: cut 2  belt blanks and laminate them together. cut ends, punch holes and cut tongue slot. stitch groove and use pricking iron. dye belt,  buff and then stitch . apply makers mark then 2 coats of resolene. Finally install buckle, keeper and rivets.

I appreciate any input.

Thanks

Your order of steps will work.  Use your stamp before or after dye, as long as it's before the finish layer.

Incidentally, I dont worry about a "makers mark"... I've been at this since before some of these boys wore big boy pants, and I've never owned a "makers mark" ;)

I have never had trouble with marking any leather, I put the mark over the spot and squeeze it as tight as i can in a bench vise over night. It is best before final finish, but i have done it after and it turned out fine.

2 hours ago, TinkerTailor said:

I have never had trouble with marking any leather, I put the mark over the spot and squeeze it as tight as i can in a bench vise over night. It is best before final finish, but i have done it after and it turned out fine.

Thanks, The stamp I ordered instructed me to use a C - clamp.  However I was  planning on using your exact method.  I'll just have to play on some scrap to get the right moisture intake before bench vise. 

Thanks again 

since in your order of steps you will have dyed but not applied the finish, you can still moisten the leather to apply your stamp.

Since moist and temporarily softened - you shouldn't need to leave it clamped over night. Just long enough to take the stamp then let it dry before applying the finish. You can even speed it up with a hairdryer.

cheers!

Moist and temporarily softened Veg tan does not need an overnight clamp but it sure helps when marking chrome tan.

ok so to ask a different Q, who has a decent stamp for reasonable dollars?

I had a buddy make mine for free but Studio-n on here makes them. I ordered 2 stamps and the quality was spot on and the price is good

My original I made using letterpress type from a garage sale. No hammering, works great in a press. Cost me 7 dollars for a box full. I use it for monogramming as well. I also use a transfer process to put art, text or my logo on some projects, even on the inside if it is smooth enough.  Here are some scrap bin test piece samples:

For scale, the letter stamp is just under 1.25" wide, and that antique oak mallet is HUGE.....

IMG_0259.JPG

I just made a jbweld copy of my stamp it and it works great. See the thread about making stamps from jbweld, i will post pictures later today.

Thanks yes photos always help and makers names can be mentioned as far as I know other wise no one would ever find out who made it!

I got mine from Jeff Mosby at Grey Ghost Graphics. All delrin, I set mine with an arbor press.

http://www.greyghostgraphics.com/stamps.html

I dampen the leather, slide it into the arbor press, and then lean my Chef Boyardee on it until I see water squeeze up from it. No complaints.

I wouldn't have called JLS old, but since he is going to date himself... :lol:

On 9/12/2016 at 8:40 AM, JLSleather said:

I've been at this since before some of these boys wore big boy pants, and I've never owned a "makers mark" ;)

Owned a few Makers Marks over the years, I think the bottle from New Nears 2002 was the finest. Can't remember how old it was....Not surprising considering the circumstances......Takes some big boy pants to get through a whole bottle and wake up in a bed not behind bars.....

its ok as along as you didn't wake up withsomeone elses other half that could lead to a shooten!!!

4 hours ago, Cheez said:

I ordered mine on order from (not sure if I can say) .  The price was right at $38, hopefully I'll find out soon of the quality. 

Yeah, you can and should say.  Seriously, if you made something for someone, and they were happy and felt like they got a good deal, wouldn't you want them to refer you to others?  Same thing.. if somebody treated you right, give 'em a reference!   

Now, I generally go beyond that, personally, and if somebody gives me a bad deal, I tell that too.  Though, I'm not recommending that to others.... 

If I do a makers mark ... and its hit or miss on how I feel.... then I prefer to do it before I dye. You have to wet the area you are going to stamp and with some colors you can land up with a nasty dark spot from the water. Not a big deal if you are just working in black but I have ruined a piece or two when a drop of sweat hit my virginal leather and then decided to stay a dark spot.

Ya I had a drop or sweat hit some leather the other day, makes for a bad day.

On 9/12/2016 at 4:04 PM, OLDNSLOW said:

ok so to ask a different Q, who has a decent stamp for reasonable dollars?

I got 4 of them from Studio N and I thought the prices were very reasonable. I like that he makes the backs that accept the tandy Hefty handle because most of us that have been doing this for a bit have one around somewhere. When I use them I am more likely to use a clamp but its nice to have the option and I have done it both ways.

I bought a few of these

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-inch-bar-clamp-96214.html

they are great and fast and I use them for my molds as well. If I use them with the makers mark I put a piece of glass down then the leather then I clamp the makers mark. I let it set for say 5 minutes then remove. The clamps are great for the price but I did have one where the handle spun out. I stuck it back on with gorilla glue and it has continued working fine for the last year.

Here is the Studio N stamp after clamping. I should add Nick was a pleasure to work with!

Templar%20back.jpg?m=1467829989

I too get my stamps/marks from Grey Ghost Graphics and I can honestly say that they give a cleaner, and deeper, impression than ANY metal stamp or acrylic plate and I use the full sized version that requires you to use your mallet and whack the you know what out of it.  I highly recommend Grey Ghost for your makers marks/stamps.

I got mine from Gray Ghost also...or I should say I have gotten two from him.

Thanks all, and really like that holster!  have you ever caught yourself leaning over to look at something that isn't 3 dimensional or wont move like a referee in a game on TV?  That is what I was doing to look at the edges, then I thought to myself you dumb arse ya kant see it. 

I guess this next payday I'll finally have to spend a few bucks and get a stamp, got most everything else needed just a matter of getting one now from studio n