dfrensdorff

Natural Beeswax

Hello All ... we have honey bees on our ranch and the beekeeper brings me beeswax that I use for burnishing etc......I have more than I can use so I am going to share some....$10 for each of A, B, or C .... includes shipping.  paypal is best .... message me if interested.........DonIMG_1880.JPG

I'd be glad to take some.

Claiming pile "C". Just send me your PayPal info.

I've been looking for a good source of clean local (USA) beeswax.  Yours looks pretty dark in the photo... is it brood wax with a lot of propolis?

and how much does each pile weigh?  Thanks in advance,

YinTx

YinTx ..... I can answer two of your questions .... It is indeed made in the USA   

The piles are 10oz. ea. 

I cannot answer your brood/propolis question as I don't know that answer. I can try to find out for you, but the beekeeper taking care of these bees is Ukranian and there is a language gap.....for $10, give it a try....can't be as bad as the mistake we both made with the Horween from Cascadian!  : - )

Ill gladly take B

Thanks Ill message you

"B & C" are spoken for....."A" still available....

I'll take some if you get some more!

Meggan and fanninator........messages sent to both of you.....Don

Have one chunk/pile left. Same amount as the others. 

Edited by dfrensdorff

What ratios did you use?

1 ounce beeswax: 1 ounce paraffin: 2 ounce neatsfoot. It came out just a tad harder than saddle soap.

Just used it on a fresh piece of imported vegtan and it did okay but I think it might need some more neatsfoot. Or I need to experiment with heating the leather and/or wax before applying.

IMG_20160929_163523442.jpg

I don't feel like it really soaked in (just sitting on the surface) and it's a little splotchy for my liking.

Thanks.

I don't recollect who it was a number of years ago, . . . said only to use beeswax and neatsfoot oil in equal WEIGHT.

I make mine in a glass jar sitting in an old cheap crock pot from Salvation Army store.

I don't use it on a lot of projects, . . . use a little heat from the heat gun when I do, . . . 

It's only for special customers.

May God bless,

Dwight

1 minute ago, Dwight said:

I don't recollect who it was a number of years ago, . . . said only to use beeswax and neatsfoot oil in equal WEIGHT.

I make mine in a glass jar sitting in an old cheap crock pot from Salvation Army store.

I don't use it on a lot of projects, . . . use a little heat from the heat gun when I do, . . . 

It's only for special customers.

May God bless,

Dwight

Dwight, I used your crockpot trick that you mentioned in another thread. I'll have to try the 1:1 neatsfoot beeswax ratio next. Thanks for the tips!

Ya, that was an unexpected transaction, the Horween.  Live and learn, anyhow.  I still have a lot of wax left, but I've been keeping my eye out for a source when I do run out, so I'll keep you on my radar.  Were you able to learn anything from the bee keep?

YinTx

I got mine last night. Thanks. I'll have to try mixing mine. Does anyone use the mixed as well for waxing your thread?

Edited by thefanninator

6 hours ago, thefanninator said:

I got mine last night. Thanks. I'll have to try mixing mine. Does anyone use the mixed as well for waxing your thread?

For waxing thread I do the mix of beeswax and rosin and if I remember right a touch of oil. Works very well and it also gives your fingers a nice sticky grip which helps tons when hand stitching. Poor the melted mix into cool water and kneed it into golf ball sizes. 

For edging I do the parafin/bees wax mix with a touch of neatsfoot, this makes a relatively normal wax feel but when burnished soaks into the ends nicely and polishes right up. 

For a top coat I cant remember the formula exactly but it was almost a even mix of neatsfoot oil and paraffin and bees wax. Has almost a soft butter consistency (kind of like snoseal). When it dries out after a few days (quicker if you use some heat) it can be buffed to a nice sheen and offers pretty good protection for a while. 

I really need to remember my mixtures as I am running out of the stuff I made years ago. 

5 hours ago, MADMAX22 said:

For waxing thread I do the mix of beeswax and rosin and if I remember right a touch of oil. Works very well and it also gives your fingers a nice sticky grip which helps tons when hand stitching. Poor the melted mix into cool water and kneed it into golf ball sizes. 

For edging I do the parafin/bees wax mix with a touch of neatsfoot, this makes a relatively normal wax feel but when burnished soaks into the ends nicely and polishes right up. 

For a top coat I cant remember the formula exactly but it was almost a even mix of neatsfoot oil and paraffin and bees wax. Has almost a soft butter consistency (kind of like snoseal). When it dries out after a few days (quicker if you use some heat) it can be buffed to a nice sheen and offers pretty good protection for a while. 

I really need to remember my mixtures as I am running out of the stuff I made years ago. 

How much Rosin ?

Thanks,

Dave