zenhas

First sporran ever

During my holiday in Highlands I promised to make a sporran for a friend. We lived in his house an I'd like to give him a kind of thanks.
It's very first sporran I made.

Sporran is based on pattern by James Smith, which I found on this forum.

sporran.jpg

Looks nice.  I like the dye job.  Gives it the look of woodgrain rather than a solid dark color.  Don't let anyone tell you it looks "unprofessional."  

What function do the tassels serve?

15 minutes ago, JMWendt said:

What function do the tassels serve?

They have no real meaning. Just decoration.

7 minutes ago, zenhas said:

They have no real meaning. Just decoration.

That's what I figured.  Very nice work.

That is a slick looking bag.

Beautiful! What kind of dye did you use and how was it applied?

On 9/19/2016 at 11:06 PM, SLP said:

Beautiful! What kind of dye did you use and how was it applied?

Thanks.

I covered it with multiple layers of Eco-Flo Antique gel. Smudged with cotton wool pad to achieve the effect. Then I applied Fiebing's Tan Kote as a finish.

Edited by zenhas

Regarding the tassels:  They represent the old muzzle loading  containers that held powder and a ball or shot.  They were carried by "game keepers" or gun carriers for a "quick" second shot rather than measuring out powder, pouring it down the muzzle, and then loading some lead, either ball or shot.  They were made from wood, leather or bone.  Eventually paper was used as a wrapping and in place of a piece of cloth.  At least it is one theory.  Stan  

really like this :-) 

On 10/1/2016 at 8:32 PM, smcconnell said:

Regarding the tassels:  They represent the old muzzle loading  containers that held powder and a ball or shot.  They were carried by "game keepers" or gun carriers for a "quick" second shot rather than measuring out powder, pouring it down the muzzle, and then loading some lead, either ball or shot.  They were made from wood, leather or bone.  Eventually paper was used as a wrapping and in place of a piece of cloth.  At least it is one theory.  Stan  

Sporran tassels, far as I know, have the only decorative meaning. Sporran is not and also never was a kind of ammo pouch. Since the kilt worn by Scottish highlanders had no pockets, they used sporrans for personal belongings. So it stands for a "pouch substitute". You probably mean cartridges which were carried in bellyboxes. But that's the really different thing.

The tassels are decorative . Some military regiments would have 5 or 6 tassels to identify a regiment.  The sporran you have made would be a day sporran. If it was a dress sporran it would have silver or jewels and fur .  A sporran was used because kilts don't have pockets   

gmace99> Agree. I told that earlier. It was made as day sporran for the son of my friend. Pouch is about 20 percent smaller than regular sporrans.

When talked to the recipient of the sporran at the page beginning, I promised to make another. So, here it is.

s1.jpg

s2.jpg

Nice dye jobs !