GaryNunn

Lower profile snaps or fasteners?

I know this has been asked before, but are there any lower profile snaps available? I'm using line 24 snaps. I know the line 20 snaps are smaller, but the post isn't long enough to go through 8/9 leather.  I also sew a small piece of 2/3 oz over the inside of the snap to protect the guns finish, and that adds even more to the thickness.

I saw on another forum that someone suggested using Velcro. Industrial strength Velcro would likely hold better than a snap, but I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Gary

Line 24 snaps.jpg

Edited by GaryNunn

Check out www.dotfasteners.com for different sizes...they do have a minimum order...I think it is $100...but don't hold me to it. :)

Line 16 snaps work in 8/9 leather.  Sometimes called segma snaps.. MUCH less bulk - still strong (I've used 'em on belts for years).

I have used a pear shader and edge beveler to compress a small circle, recessing the snap (socket side) slightly into the leather a bit when trying to get a line 24 snap through 6-7oz. lined with 4-5oz. (effectively beastly thick). This might help to reduce, albeit very slightly, some of the bulk. I do the the tooling prior to punching the hole for the snap. As I had to learn the hard way, pounding on the leather adjacent to a hole will make a messy hole that tapers off into a uselessly thin edge. I don't know if this affects the strength of the snap (don't think it should as long as you are using a stiffener), but I have not had any issues yet. If you are not comfortable with the tooling thing, you might consider getting the leather a bit moist and just pressing the snap down into the leather with a good amount of force prior to setting.

I have had limited results with this method, as I bury my thumb break stiffener between two layers and only have the 4-5oz. leather to compress. I think you would probably have better results, with the thumb break on the back. You would have that whole chunk of 8-9oz. leather to compress.

Also, while 2-3oz. leather is pretty thin, you might consider skiving it down even thinner. That has worked well for me.

Please let us know how it turns out and if you find any good snap alternatives. I know that Ohio Travel Bag has long post (7/16") line 24 snaps (not cheap but the only place I've ever found) , but on a quick search I was not able find any line 20 longer than 3/16".

rps20160627_202925_766.jpg

rps20160627_203112_596.jpg

rps20160503_094929_924.jpg

rps20160503_095130.jpg

Edited by SLP

In addition to what SLP said, some use a skirt shave with one toe in the hole to cut a recess all the way around on the backside to recess the socket some. Also, get a cue tip wet and stick it in the hole for 5 minutes or so before setting the snap, idea is to case the leather that is inside the hole and under the snap without affecting finish beside the snap.

Moving the snap location down even just 1/4" away from that curve would help to downplay the appearance of bulk as well. The leather sort of falls away into the curve right behind the snap in the picture.

I would also put the socket and stud on the opposite sides. The stud is lower profile, and will sink down a little by itself. The socket is the big part. It is really hard to recess a socket on the grain side without evidence, the flesh side is more forgiving.

Now for a question, would a sam brown stud work or would it pop open when doing starsky and hutch dive rolls....?

51 minutes ago, TinkerTailor said:

Also, get a cue tip wet and stick it in the hole for 5 minutes or so before setting the snap, idea is to case the leather that is inside the hole and under the snap without affecting finish beside the snap.

I love that cue tip idea!

14 hours ago, TinkerTailor said:

Now for a question, would a sam brown stud work or would it pop open when doing starsky and hutch dive rolls....?

Stud in the strap with it poking through the back?  That would be an interesting idea.  I use them in a few things and have a buddy that uses them in his belt "buckle".  The main issue would be getting the hole for the stud just right.  That can be a bit finicky.  Oh, and I hate thumb breaks.  

I ran across a Desantis holster that had the snaps in a slightly different configuration, so I tried it and it worked out really well. I have a small steel strap that I layer in between the leather and attach the snap to on the back of the thumb break. I'm making another Thumb Break this week, I'll take some better pictures of the snap process.

5999b74e74615_snapsMP-Shield-CT-Laser-Thumb-Break-top-2.thumb.JPG.f5b42fd83a5550f882825e667a54d944.JPG

snaps-Image11.thumb.jpg.c200fe26e2207308d6c512b452696fd2.jpg

30 minutes ago, GaryNunn said:

I ran across a Desantis holster that had the snaps in a slightly different configuration, so I tried it and it worked out really well. I have a small steel strap that I layer in between the leather and attach the snap to on the back of the thumb break. I'm making another Thumb Break this week, I'll take some better pictures of the snap process.

5999b74e74615_snapsMP-Shield-CT-Laser-Thumb-Break-top-2.thumb.JPG.f5b42fd83a5550f882825e667a54d944.JPG

snaps-Image11.thumb.jpg.c200fe26e2207308d6c512b452696fd2.jpg

Now THAT, . . .  I like, . . . never thought of recessing it like that, but it sure would make it less apt to scratch the sides of the weapon.

Thanks, . . . may God bless,

Dwight

On 8/20/2017 at 0:57 PM, Dwight said:

Now THAT, . . .  I like, . . . never thought of recessing it like that, but it sure would make it less apt to scratch the sides of the weapon.

I always sew in a 2 ounce round patch over the inside snap to protect the finish of the gun. I've been experimenting with doing a full inner lining so the hardware goes between layers.  The oblong patch in this picture strengthens the thumb break but also covers up the steel insert. The second picture of the saddle tan holster is a production Desantis holster. I hate the way their steel reinforcement is on the back of the thumb break, so I cover mine up. 

thumb break patch  IMG_7651.JPG

DSC_17312_1024x1024.jpg

Thanks, Gary, . . . we all learned something today..............

12 hours ago, GaryNunn said:

I always sew in a 2 ounce round patch over the inside snap to protect the finish of the gun.

I found a place, I think it was High Desert Leather, that sells plastic studs that do the same thing. It is sort of shaped like a thumbtack, and you tap it into the hole on the snap base. It works ok, but a bit clunky.