Hi all. Just picked up a cheap Pfaff 1445 in so so condition. I regret not doing enough research to discover that it's apparently a somewhat rare machine with few compatible parts. 

Does anyone have the operator manual (not the service manual)?

I'm aware kwokhing.com for presser feet. 

Are there any other compatible feet available?

How about service parts?

Kunpeng on Ebay also has a good selection of feet and accessories, they may have some that fit your machine. You'll have to check the Pfaff 1445 parts manual for compatible parts numbers. OEM parts for Pfaff are a bit tricky to find. M.J. Foley is my source of choice for OEM parts. 

Edited by Uwe

Thanks. 

I could not find a Pfaff 1445 operator's manual online so I got one from Adler in Germany. I can't attach it here because it's larger than allowed. 

It appears many parts are available from Penn. Parts in their catalog are not identified by machine and are difficult to search by name. Penn and others use the original Pfaff numbers without punctuation and spaces. 

The Pfaff spare parts list for this machine gives the base for parts numbers for feet. There may be other options out there. 

Kwokhing hasn't responded to my inquiries. 

Hi Uwe, thanks again. I've seen your helpful comments re other machines so perhaps you'll know offhand whether it's at all likely that the screw holding the take-up lever bearing to a crank arm behind it might be left handed. I need to braze a new eye on the lever and I'd rather not do it in situ. 

Sorry, I really don't know that particular detail. But I did order a some rare odd-ball screws from M. J. Foley to replace the one missing from a linkage arm on my Pfaff 545. Typing in the part number just so in the M.J. Foley search fields is an art and science and it often takes me half a dozen tries to get any result at all - an old-fashioned phone call may not be bad approach. One other source of rare OEM parts is http://aaasew.com. They can show parts listed by manufacturer and I've found several parts there that no one else carried. AAASew's payment system is barely functional and it takes real effort to make it work, plus a few weeks for delivery, but in the end they did deliver reasonably priced, obscure OEM parts that no one else even offered at any price - on several occasions.

Thanks for the info.

I got confirmation from Adler in Germany that it's just a slot.

The owner of a sewing supply house in Los Angeles claims any walking feet for round shank top presser feet will work with the 1445. I was baffled that there could only be a few oppressively expensive OEM feet for such a rare machine. I'll confirm and post when I receive the feet I ordered.

Nuttish,

Dixie Sewing has the parts list and service manual for your machine. I am still looking for an operations manual for you.

glenn

I just had a look at that link - are those feet gold-plated??? The prices have very impressive numbers attached to them!:censored2:

2 hours ago, Constabulary said:

Check the College Sewnig Website in GB. They ship worldwide and have a section for 1445 parts - they have lots of feet

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/store/Pfaff1445SewingMachineParts

Wow!!! that is one handy site to have with such a well laid out and huge range. Thank you Constabulary. Would you have any clue's as to where I may obtain 1 and 2mm eva (I think) foam as used in bag and purse linings?

You may be able to get that from companies who supply "Tyvek" also used in bags and purses as a stiffener , it isn't so thick ( it is sold in rolls and sheets ) many of the suppliers / distributors also have sheet or roll foam ..

Thanks for the tip mikesc. I've had a quick look and can can't find where Tyvek is used in this aplication. EVA foam is a sort of rubbery foam that has a good memory. If you squeeze it, it springs back a bit like rubber thongs do. Does Tyvek  behave like this? The application I want it for is as a supple stiffener and padding inside bags and purses and such.

No, Tyvek doesn't have those properties, it is just a non woven fabric that can be washed and dry cleaned that can be : is used as a stiffener in bags and purses..also sold as interfacing or fusible web or stabiliser..Companies who sell it frequently sell other "technical fabrics and foams" )..for what you want , you should look around the 3M site and or search for technical fabrics or technical foams..
ps "rubber thongs"..as in footwear, or as in BDSM gear ? If the latter, search for rubber sheeting, latex sheeting, foam sheeting..also available on rolls.

Ah ..just searched EVA foam or PEVA foam ..now I know what it is that you are looking for : ).. a search for distributors in Australia brings up a few..
http://www.google.com/search?q
Any one of them who is an actual manufacturer should give you the best price ( will be cheaper by the roll ) ..afterwards it will be the shipping ( you live in a big place ) that will make a difference

you could also try www.evafoams.com

depends on how much you want..

Edited by mikesc

I got the operator manual from Adler in Germany. I would post it but it's too large for the forum. 

I should have said up front I was avoiding College. Their prices are offensive. 

Their prices are downright friendly compared to what the dealers in France want me to pay for any spares, for any machines, or for new machines.

A bobbin case for a Singer 29K51 here runs €300*.oo..or about $350.oo and only one guy sells them ( I would imagine he doesn't sell many ) 550W servo motors like dikman, constabulary and I have cost €450.oo here ( about $520.oo ) college sell them at €115.oo ..I'm already reselling spares in France that I get from college and elsewhere ( USA and China included )..Spares for old machines here ( France ) can cost so much that most people just scrap their machines if it needs a hook or a needle bar or a bobbin case. You pay very low prices in the USA..especially for new machines..even the big brands like Juki and Adler.

Machine mechanics here ( and they are not very good at all many of them ) charge so much , from €80.oo ( $100.oo  per hour upto twice that ,( and often still don't get the machines running correctly, but charge anyway, and they markup spares that they fit by 300% over what they paid, which they already pay expensive ) that Eric ( gottaknow ) could retire to St Tropez on what he could charge, and when Eric's done with a machine, it works properly..

* Not a typo..and college do them for around €9.oo or $11.oo I think

Fortunately really good leather ( if bought directly from the tanneries ) and excellent silk, if bought from the weaving mills, is "cheap" here..

Edited by mikesc

If you think the parts are tooo expensive - well you have a Pfaff machine! OEM Pfaff parts are generally more expensive. The machine seems to be not wide spread and so there is no big demand for parts meaning parts are more expensive.

If you want cheap parts buy a Singer 111 based machine and you can get parts dirt cheap.

17 hours ago, mikesc said:

No, Tyvek doesn't have those properties, it is just a non woven fabric that can be washed and dry cleaned that can be : is used as a stiffener in bags and purses..also sold as interfacing or fusible web or stabiliser..Companies who sell it frequently sell other "technical fabrics and foams" )..for what you want , you should look around the 3M site and or search for technical fabrics or technical foams..
ps "rubber thongs"..as in footwear, or as in BDSM gear ? If the latter, search for rubber sheeting, latex sheeting, foam sheeting..also available on rolls.

Ah ..just searched EVA foam or PEVA foam ..now I know what it is that you are looking for : ).. a search for distributors in Australia brings up a few..
http://www.google.com/search?q
Any one of them who is an actual manufacturer should give you the best price ( will be cheaper by the roll ) ..afterwards it will be the shipping ( you live in a big place ) that will make a difference

you could also try www.evafoams.com

depends on how much you want..

Thanks again mikesc. The Australian suppliers I've been all over several times and the only 1 that will even talk about 1mm wants 5000 metres. That is a bit to much I'm afraid for me and I was hoping to find a more industry related reseller perhaps. I have found the EVA foam link in Taiwan before and have not as yet tried them. If nobody has any better suggestions I will let you know how I go. Thanks again for your effort and kind Regards Brian

Hi Brian, just looked in during my breakfast coffee..

I didn't mention any European suppliers due to what I thought would be prohibitive shipping costs to get it to you..but, if the suppliers near you are asking for 5000m then I think they re just buying in and have no stock ( there is French elastic supplier like that , minimum order 5000m and wait 6 weeks, so I buy from UK or China in 1000m or 5000m runs and pay waaaay less :) ..try these people in the UK

http://www.technicalfoamservices.co.uk/

or these

http://www.paulamar.co.uk/default.aspx

Thinnest that I have come across in France is 2mm, but , I can phone to the two companies in the UK that I posted links to and ask about 1mm and prices , quantities, shipping to you etc if that will help ?

Edited by mikesc

Hi mikesc, Thanks again for your kind help. It is near 8pm here and I'm a bit stuffed as I've been working all day as usual. I will look into these sites hard tomorrow but I really would appreciate any help you can come up  with on this rubber or foam. I do import fairly regularly fabric from Italy (Tabru) , and fittings etc as well so the freight costs are not any surprise to me. Thanks again Regards Brian

OK Brian, Talk with you via pm tomorrow :) ..off out in a hour to visit an antiques fair..( probably going to come back later today somewhat poorer ;) at the last one I picked up a cobra skin briefcase , with the equivalent of 6 good skins, big pieces ( including the head markings of each ) for only €5.oo..it's 12.15 hrs here..and sunny ..

On 9/24/2016 at 4:38 AM, RockyAussie said:

Thanks for the tip mikesc. I've had a quick look and can can't find where Tyvek is used in this aplication. EVA foam is a sort of rubbery foam that has a good memory. If you squeeze it, it springs back a bit like rubber thongs do. Does Tyvek  behave like this? The application I want it for is as a supple stiffener and padding inside bags and purses and such.

Hey Brian, I think one of these reinforcement options may suit your needs. Possibly the reinforcement GEL, or reinforcement foam http://www.mando.fr/43-renfort

Not sure if you need a log in to view it, if so let me know and i can post a screenshot.

-Sam

Hi -Sam, thanks for the link. I am getting some in after a lot of searching some samples of foam that I think will serve my purposes. I received the 2mm sample today with some others and It is nice and squishy and thermo moulds as well.It takes the contact well and skives very nicely in my opinion. If you have any trouble gettingsome let me know as I have to get fairly large amounts of this at a time. Glad to hear from you again. Regards Brian.

DSC03841_resize.JPG

DSC03836_resize.JPG

Brian, I just phoned Mando ( it is pronounced Mondo ) on your behalf, for what you are making they would recommend the micro-fibre in 2.2mm, they don't think it thermoformable however , but the woman was very friendly and helpful, rolls are 20 metres long by 140 cm wide and price is ( for export* ) 22.00 € per linear metre..Transport / freight would be extra..I'll be sending her an email later today ( she had a shop full of people so couldn't stay long on the phone )  to get the weight of a roll so as to be able to calculate transport costs..

They  can send to anywhere, but they are not fluent in English and prefer to work in French, so ( when I get the weight, so as to be able to calculate shipping to Oz , if you are interested, send me a pm and I'll translate no problem :) ..I don't know if that ex works pricing at 22.00€ is good or not, but figured that even though I know you have found a supplier nearer to you that it was worth making a quick call to them..

:)

9 hours ago, mikesc said:

Brian, I just phoned Mando ( it is pronounced Mondo ) on your behalf, for what you are making they would recommend the micro-fibre in 2.2mm, they don't think it thermoformable however , but the woman was very friendly and helpful, rolls are 20 metres long by 140 cm wide and price is ( for export* ) 22.00 € per linear metre..Transport / freight would be extra..I'll be sending her an email later today ( she had a shop full of people so couldn't stay long on the phone )  to get the weight of a roll so as to be able to calculate transport costs..

They  can send to anywhere, but they are not fluent in English and prefer to work in French, so ( when I get the weight, so as to be able to calculate shipping to Oz , if you are interested, send me a pm and I'll translate no problem :) ..I don't know if that ex works pricing at 22.00€ is good or not, but figured that even though I know you have found a supplier nearer to you that it was worth making a quick call to them..

:)

Thanks again Mikesc, I have ordered some Softlon as in the picture above and expect to see see it soon. I will let you know how it performs asap. The cost to me is a bit hard to say yet but before freight just under $4.00au per sq metre has been indicated. I think that is about 2.75 Euro or $3.00 US dollars. It does look like a handy shop to have nearby I have to say. I would have to travel over 2000k to get something close to it. I wish there was more manufacturing in this country. If you want a sample PM me an address.