LeatherWerks

Old Singer Sewing Machine

Picked this old Singer from an Estate sale recently. I know it's not a leather machine (got that covered) but since it went for cheap and it works, I had to have it. I've been looking for a model number but haven't found one. It does have a serial number but guess that won't help much.

Does anyone know what model this is?

Thanks,

Steve

20160919_140357[1].jpg

20160919_140408[1].jpg

20160919_140426[1].jpg

Look up model# 66

If that is a crinkle paint finish, and has not been repainted, then it dates it to during (or just after) ww2.   

You should be able to get the model details from the serial number.

Edited by LumpenDoodle2

I don’t believe that it’s a repaint.  I think that machine is called a Singer 66-18.  The crinkle finish makes it a dash 18, and I think that it came out of the factory that way.  The model before it that had the “Japanned Finish” (glossy black) was a 66-16, the only two versions that I know having had a back-tack.  It dates back to the late 40s and early 50s.  The crinkle finish was very popular during that period of time, on all sorts of metal things, especially equipment/tool boxes.  Not only did the public think that the finish was really cool, as far as I know, the finish was cheaper and easier to apply during those years after WWII when everyone was trying to recover from the war.  Nice machine.  I have one, but converted it to treadle/handcrank operation by substituting a spoked balance wheel.  As far as I know, this version of the model 66 (the 66s were called the “Twentieth Century Machine” since it first came out around 1900) didn’t come out much as a treadle or hand crank, if at all.  Electrification was fairly wide-spread by the time the dash 18 became the current version of that model.  Mine dates to 1950.  Yours is probably earlier because of the style of bobbin winder.

CD in Oklahoma

I went to the Singer serial number site to see what I could find. Based on the serial number, it was made around 1938. Is it possible the machine was electrified later? The serial number is: AE878765.

Steve

20 hours ago, cdthayer said:

I don’t believe that it’s a repaint.  I think that machine is called a Singer 66-18.  The crinkle finish makes it a dash 18, and I think that it came out of the factory that way.  The model before it that had the “Japanned Finish” (glossy black) was a 66-16, the only two versions that I know having had a back-tack.  It dates back to the late 40s and early 50s.  The crinkle finish was very popular during that period of time, on all sorts of metal things, especially equipment/tool boxes.  Not only did the public think that the finish was really cool, as far as I know, the finish was cheaper and easier to apply during those years after WWII when everyone was trying to recover from the war.  Nice machine.  I have one, but converted it to treadle/handcrank operation by substituting a spoked balance wheel.  As far as I know, this version of the model 66 (the 66s were called the “Twentieth Century Machine” since it first came out around 1900) didn’t come out much as a treadle or hand crank, if at all.  Electrification was fairly wide-spread by the time the dash 18 became the current version of that model.  Mine dates to 1950.  Yours is probably earlier because of the style of bobbin winder.

CD in Oklahoma

Switching to crinkle during/after the war may have also had something to do with the name of the old finish, The machines were "Japanned".........Not a selling feature in 1946....

On 21/09/2016 at 11:39 PM, LeatherWerks said:

I went to the Singer serial number site to see what I could find. Based on the serial number, it was made around 1938. Is it possible the machine was electrified later? The serial number is: AE878765.

Steve

It is possible Steve but at that time the majority of production was electric.

Most variant numbers specify the type of drive but the sewing machine is just a head that can be treadled, hand cranked or electric so the "-" number really only applies to most models after they left the dealership as the dealer may have had several electric 66's and someone wanted one as a treadle base. The dealer would swap out the balance wheel and drop it in a treadle cabinet.

The whole Singer model number system is odd!! A 45k21 is the same as a 45k25 but the 21 has a fixed foot and the 25 a roller foot but the feet are interchangeable so why have two machines in stock that are the same?

Thanks for the reply Darren. It looks like a nice machine, I'll probably take it to Missouri Sewing Machine Company in Kansas City and have them give it a tune-up. I've read that you can even sew light leather on this machine, is that true?

Steve

I had a 1954 model Singer 66, it would sew some light leather, but I never could get it to reliably feed leather. It was hell on wheels for cloth though. Beautiful straight stitch machines

There is not a lot to "service".

If you are going to get more into sewing machines then I suggest you give this baby a good clean then look for anything loose that can be adjusted.

You cannot break it!!!