BubbaJon

Sewing machine question

I almost never work with heavier than 8oz leather.  Most of my sewing is on scabbards, sheaths and holsters.While I'm ok at hand stitching there are times when it's just a drag.  A lady at work was telling me that a heavy duty machine should be able to do the trick on what I'm sewing.  She claims to have made boots on hers only going to a commercial boot shop to get the soles stitched and glued on.

I know I'll hear right tool for the job but as a hobbyist I really don't want to plonk down $$$ on something that doesn't aid in making a living.  Plus I think I'd likely take more chances with some leather projects if there wasn't so doggone much manual labor involved.

Opinions?

If your asking if this sewing machine will fit your needs...it's hard to say without knowing what make/model number it is.

If your sewing by hand..it just takes time to do it right...on the bright side you will get faster with practice.

You might want to check out the Tippman BOSS..this is a manual sewing machine...they are sometimes listed on here at reasonable prices.

17 hours ago, BubbaJon said:

I almost never work with heavier than 8oz leather.  Most of my sewing is on scabbards, sheaths and holsters.While I'm ok at hand stitching there are times when it's just a drag.  A lady at work was telling me that a heavy duty machine should be able to do the trick on what I'm sewing.  She claims to have made boots on hers only going to a commercial boot shop to get the soles stitched and glued on.

I know I'll hear right tool for the job but as a hobbyist I really don't want to plonk down $$$ on something that doesn't aid in making a living.  Plus I think I'd likely take more chances with some leather projects if there wasn't so doggone much manual labor involved.

Opinions?

Have you looked at these topics?

I'm also moving your post to "Leather Sewing Machines" section of the forum.  You may get more feedback there.

Tom

What sort of holsters and sheaths do you make? The thickness of each layer of leather is not so important as the total thickness. If you make sheaths out of three layers of 8oz that's going to be 3/8" of veg tan, which is substantial for a machine. There are many machines which can handle that thickness and more, but most will not.

When looking for such a machine you can find inexpensive (under $1000), you can find machines that do what you want and you can find machines fast but you are not likely to find all of these in one. 

As a hobbyist you're facing a common dilemma - should I buy a machine that may take a long time to pay for itself (if at all)? The need to sew holsters immediately eliminates many machines, as you're probably looking at a Cowboy 3200-type machine as a starting point. (While I have several machines, none are suitable for holsters (ok for belts) so I still hand stitch them).

The hand stitching thread you use now will probably designate your top size, this should get your question answered.

I think some items really require a certain size thread for strength, and just to be depended on and so used.  If you have some specifications required to go with your projects, then the machine size capable to commonly run that "day in day out".

Some searches on here I find myself seeing many other interesting bits and have to put the whoa! on and get back to my search topic started. So take a look and enjoy a bit, and for sure share any tips you find.

good day

Floyd