amateursewing

SINGER 807 - LIKE A BERNINA 217

I am looking at a Singer 807 straight stitch zig zag sewing machine, it seems to be a forerunner of the 20U, and its practically identical to the Bernina 217, I am wondering if anyone knows of this Singer machine and your opinion? I cant find anything about a Singer 807 on google apart from a few photos, more articles are more infromative about the Bernina 217, which seems to take a DPX1 needle, and has a backward facing roatary hook, and a stepped zigzag control on the front (there is not cam arrangement on the back of this machine)

would just like your opinion of this machine, thanks

amateursewing

$_85.JPG

$_85 (3).JPG

A Google search gets me a whole lot of stuff about that model, including a youtube video and some manuals and parts list on google docs..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iRQcknn1sk

yES, i found that video in Swedish orFinnish, which is not understandable, I also saw something about the google docs parts book, but its a book to BUY, not a proper google doc book that you can open freely, given there are no downloads for the manual for this machine and the Singer own site does not recognize this machine then I think it must have been a short production run for the European market, its really a mystery for this machine on any site. But the ones with the cam attachment on the back look like a wonderfully versatile industrial machine.

amateursewing

A cam attachment? I think you mean the foot lift lever on the backside, right? When I look at the machines the only thing that the 807 could have in common with the 217 is the zigzag dial but thats in a different position. The Bernina 217 also is longer. I´d guess the Singer 807 is made in Japan but have no proof - just a guess.The "diarrhea colored" outer is something one has to like but I find it quite ugly.

I´d rather look for a Pfaff 230 or the like because you have a better chance for finding parts accessories and manuals. But that does not mean that the 807 is a bad machine as long as it meets your requirements.

Perhaps amaturesewing was referring to was the optional Bernina 217 cam reader that was mounted on the back of the machine.

As Constabulary mentions, the 807 seems to have little in common with the 217 other than zig zag.

Looks like a German built machine but I have never seen one before.

Why are we talking about a zig-zag machine on a leather forum?

Why not - we even have a computer problem section here. ;) We already talked about other sewing machines earlier.

As far as I know the German models all have a D in the model number when made prior 1945 and a G when produced from the 1950´s onwards but I´m not much into domestic or semi industrial Singers so there may be exceptions. Still think it is Japanese but not 100% sure.

Curious!, the only reason I initially looked at the post was because of the 217 bernina.

A machine like that and a even bit heavier model would keep my attention for awhile, though I'm busy enough and I best get to work!

good day

Floyd

Sorry, I was a bit grumpy last night.

Not every Singer machine fits the proper nomenclature system!!

bonjour j'ai exactement la même depuis 6 ans maintenant. Je n'ai pas la date exacte mais elle date des années 50 et c'est une semi industrielle qui a été limitée en production donc machine rare. Elle est vraiment robuste et très agréable a coudre elle a un double entrainement. Par contre modèle rare donc pièces rares… elles sont toutes a minimum 50euros. Je l'aime beaucoup cette machine j'ai du mal a m'en séparer ,elle a un style un peu militaire que j'aime beaucoup. voilà j'espère vous avoir un peu aidé. 

7 hours ago, Eloisecastex said:

bonjour j'ai exactement la même depuis 6 ans maintenant. Je n'ai pas la date exacte mais elle date des années 50 et c'est une semi industrielle qui a été limitée en production donc machine rare. Elle est vraiment robuste et très agréable a coudre elle a un double entrainement. Par contre modèle rare donc pièces rares… elles sont toutes a minimum 50euros. Je l'aime beaucoup cette machine j'ai du mal a m'en séparer ,elle a un style un peu militaire que j'aime beaucoup. voilà j'espère vous avoir un peu aidé. 

Here is the English translation of the French comments.

hello i have exactly the same for 6 years now. I do not have the exact date but it dates from the 50s and it is a semi industrial which has been limited in production and therefore a rare machine. It is really robust and very pleasant to sew, it has a double drive. On the other hand, rare model so rare pieces… they are all at least 50euros. I like it a lot, this machine I find it difficult to part with it, it has a slightly military style that I like a lot. here I hope to have helped you a little.