alan243

Need Advise on buying a new machine

ok looking at a couple machines a ferdco pro 440, sewline sl5-1r, i will be sewing belts, cinches, purses, is there something better? maybe a waking foot?   need some help from the experts

looking for specifics on the machines i mentioned, i have read that thread

I was basing my reply on this part of your OP

is there something better? maybe a waking foot?   need some help from the experts

In your OP you didn't say that you were looking for advice on those specific machines..

For what you want to be able to do..there are many machines better than the two you mention, which is why I pointed you to Wiz's post and it's subsequent thread.

Edited by mikesc

I think I seen another post where the 440 was very close to the cb105 in its build, so if searching it has these same traits and mentioned on here.

If you take a look at that model and it shows to perform task you mention, and the price is right well your on your way.

I find all machines will require your attention to learn them! and the tough study of proper tuning the model, this can be patiently attained from the many many members on the site here.

It seems I search sometimes for a particular and have read "in the same post" yet didn't see this new particular search interest. So sometimes google it and even then look for this site in the results, you will be amazed how easy that turns up things.

that boggles my small mind 

later

Floyd

Well I thought I would get at least a little help I googled both of these machines and still not sure which one would work for me , was hoping i could get some real advise from someone in the know... thanks 

Pretty sure they are both similar design, similar to the CB2500 or the equivalent "clone".

Pretty sure its just bottom feed so there are going to be teeth marks on the bottom of the stuff your sewing. Stepping up to a 3200 or better yet 3500 would be a good decision if you can swing it. I know that extra $700 can be a killer but in the long run may be worth waiting for. I know if i was making belts I wouldnt want teeth marks on the bottom of my work. 

Out of the two you have listed I have not owned either but know the ferdco name use to be really good, they are sold out now to someone else. Sewline has been around for a little while as well but I would seriously consider one of the few merchants always being advertised here just for the support you would get. If your going used have you called any of them to see if they have any used ones available?

Wanted to add I read your original post again and I would really shoot for a 3500 just so you can have smooth feed dogs and presser feet with the stuff you will be stitching. Dont want a nice purse with knarlly feet marks on the backside. 

Edited by MADMAX22

Hey Alan what did you find in your google? at least what you found interesting in your search.

To answer your question.

yes; there is something better, weather you want to invest that amount at this stage is the bigger question of requirements needed?

yes; agreed a walking foot machine would be great, as mentioned earlier your selection looks like it is not a walker, maybe a photo ?

now, how much are the machines costing to be at your place

If choosing take the ferdco and negotiate, along with adding a servo motor to it, on your end.

good day

Floyd 

Edited by brmax

Searching the LW archives for discussions about specific models is often helpful. Try a Google search like "ferdco pro 440 site:leatherworker.net" which brings up dozens of LW discussions about that particular machine.

For example this older thread on the the Ferdco Pro 440 would make me cross that machine off the list of machines to consider for the type of work you're trying to do.

Edited by Uwe

I came here AFTER i googled, what i was looking for was some help on making a decision on the machines, i never mentioned price, only the models that i was looking at and asking for more insight on to something better.  Its a shame that the condescending attitude of people here have run me off.. Thanks you and good day  

Sorry Alan, your selected machine choices and in the craigslist add for "your area" the ferdco listed at 800. I mentioned negotiate or try to and put a servo on it also. The other selection you list was at 600. this is probably the same type machine, with some needed study by you as I don't know much more than searching here which " i did" your welcome. So a bit more homework on your part to sell yourself on these choices you brought, as either one with some short cinches can be used in manufacture (with steady controlled hand) sometimes helping to feed and guide the product. "not the recommended" but hey we all sometimes make things work when we have to. Maybe in these products your considering to produce, a totally different approach with machine choice and so even a heavy flatbed could be used, although some mention of several types were talked of in the "recommended machine post", These selections you listed are not at the top in the post at all. ( you answered your post with; is there something better, a walking foot ) like you knew these were not, so I'm not picking up what your putting down. but anyway run what ya brung!

Its really your decision, as its your money and your selections may not have been at the top in the machine recommendation post.?

Sundays are pretty laid back, makes for a good read time between game plays

Floyd

Alan;

A walking foot machine is more capable of climbing up and down different layers of material. This is because the inside and outside feet alternate up and down. A compound feed walking foot machine also has a needle that moves forward and backward with the inside foot and the feed dog, providing superb feeding of slippery and difficult materials. This combination of coordinated motion keeps the layers from slipping out of alignment from drag of the presser foot. Both of the machines you listed have a fixed presser foot (with a very heavy duty spring) and needle. The only feed is from the feed dog teeth.

The machines in the topic are clones of the ancient Singer 45k series. It was meant to sew horse blankets and tack, where the tooth marks on the bottom were unimportant. Most of these machines can sew up to 7/16 inch of harness leather, with #346 thread. They use system 216 or 328 needles, which are typically not available in leather point under size 23 (160).

IHTH

I have to disagree with Wiz on this one.

Most old school saddlers in Australia did the first years  of their apprenticeship using a Singer 45k and had to all types of work.

I know some older saddlers - and even some younger ones - that can do most of their work on a 45k or GA5/CB2500.

In 90% of leather work the reverse side is irrelevant! Even so it is not that difficult to overcome with some light polishing of the feed dog and careful setting of the presser foot tension.

The 45k class machines have made more leather goods than every other heavy sewing machine in the last 120 years