Sign in to follow this  
MADMAX22

chromexcel uses

So I picked up a side of heavy weight black chromexcel (Maverick leather). I cut some strips as I wanted to make some nice belts. Made one for myself backed with H.O. leather and after a couple weeks of wear the finish is not holding up, as in the black is starting to show the brown leather underneath. 

So this stuff isnt that durable like say bridle leather, got it. Now I am curious what others use this stuff for. I cant imagine anything holding up well (sheaths, bags, any wear item really). 

This is in no way a disk on Maverick or Horween. Just curious where this leather fits in. Is it maybe because they just get seconds? Its not struck thru which could be part of the problem but then again I think lots of the CMXL isnt so. 

Thoughts/ideas. 

No takers? 

Well, my two pennies from the other side of the pond. So for starters if you look around the web and among actual real brands that sell leather goods, you might have noticed the HUGE trend to use Horween leathers, specially their Chromexcel leathers. Everything from Aero Clothings famous CXL Horsehide leather jackets, to Red Wing shoe company Iron Range boots. Most small leather goods businesses seem to sell wallets and bags made from Horween CXL leathers.

Now, Horween do different versions of their Chromexcel (it's a wet chrome tanned leather that gets vegetable re tanned at a later stage), from heavy steer, to ordinary cow, to horse. The Chromexcel is a type of oil pull up leather, so it is stretchy, gives another lighter shade when stretched and with one exception, fairly water resistant (they do have one CXL version that is totally water proof). Not really suitable for belts and straps even though it seems to be hugely popular to do so. (I can understand the esthetics in wanting to do so anyway).

Maverick company sell SECONDS of Horween Tannery leathers. That's why they are cheaper. While there are many on this forum that have used far larger quantity of this stuff than I have, I do have used a fair amount of the stuff over the last couple of years, mostly the thinner 5-6oz in both steer and horse. I also make wallets and bags. The black have never really  turned brown for me (but I use a re seller here in the UK that only gets the premium stuff straight from Horween). I never had a return from a customer or a complaint about the leather. I also have several black boots made of CXL black Horween leather from various shoe companies and some of them have been very well worn for several years and still as black (if scuffed) as the day I bought them, except from one pair where the color indeed seem to turn a more warm brown shade when pulled real hard at the tongue. So personally I think it's a nice leather - if a bit over rated, in the sense that there are several tanneries that supply as nice pull up leathers to a more competitive price - however, the Horween brand is a sure way sell to all the hipsters out there - that's actually why I use them.

And Bridle leather is a very different kind of leather, made originally for the saddle making business. Not really much point in comparing it. But you are correct that it's some of the best choices for belts from a durability point of view. Especially if you use a English Tannery like Sedwick and get the Bridle BUTTS (the prices start from £300 - wholesale though...). And while Bridle leather made from American companies can have very good quality indeed, they won't compare. (However - they are cheaper!).

Basically, I think you where a bit 'unlucky' and you shouldn't judge from only a single experience. And while I sometimes use second quality for mock ups and personal projects - I would never have any high expectations - regardless from what Tannery the leather came from - thus, I can't be disappointed either.

Edited by ConradPark

Thanks Conrad appreciate the input. 

Your mention of the boots is originally why I was a little intrigued by the leather I picked up since I figured if they use it on boots and it seems to hold up well then I figured it would do the same for other applications. The seconds  are seconds for a reason and if I wanna use CMX for anything Ill go thru the tannery next time. It is a nice leather albeit different and the belt I made was a nice dressier belt with the only issue being the wear qualities of the finish.