JLSleather

Again with the videos ...

Marketing? Are we sure we don't mean "grifiting" or "hustling"? 

Pretty widely known, I'm generally not impressed by WHY-tube videos....WHY-tube as in WHY do people spend hours staring at that stuff?@!   I like to see leather people improving their skill(s), not watching tv.  But today I checked one.  3-part thingie about some new knife.  Entire first part, we actually saw the knife, but that was it.  8 1/2 minutes of nothing about the knife except it's shiny.  Really?  I didn't watch the other two parts - later I'm going to not watch some more ;)

But in the course of that, another video comes up right after that (if you don't "cancel" it playing).  And there's a video, with over 4,000 "hits", about making a G43 holster pattern.  But, you have to wade through an ad first.  And then the video plays, but never does actually show anything useful.  If someone was awake and thinking, he/she might legitimately wonder WHY they were even sitting there.  For me, it's a glimpse into WHY some people seem to get so little done --- they're watching "how-to's" that don't show "how-to" anything (presumably, they sit and continue to search for one that does?).

So, I'm sold.  One day soon, I'm going to make a video.  I've been asked to make more anyway, but I've been doing more profitable things with my time.  But, I really now wanting to make one that does not show how to make a pattern for a holster.  Yes, I said that correctly.   And I'll actually title it something descriptive and appropriate.

• how NOT to make a leather holster pattern:  nah..that sounds like you're showing the "wrong" way;
  • how to NOT make a leather holster pattern:  nah, not quite. That sounds like you aren't making one at all.  All a guy would have to do to not make a pattern - go fishing.
  • how to talk about how to make a holster pattern but NOT actually offering any useful instruction someone could use:  yeah, we're getting close now- though that's a bit verbose and likely not so very search-engine-friendly ;)

These videos seem to be little more than attention grabbers.  Of course, some will call it "marketing", but I'm not seeing the difference between this and when a baby cries or my little girl's puppy barks.  Thus the reason for my new video (coming soon) -- perhaps I'll then see the point of any of it BEYOND 1.) making noise in hope of being noticed, 2.) persuading people your poo isn't poo, or 3.) an excuse to not be doing actual work.  I'm sure it's none of those, I'm just not personally seeing it yet...

Now, I'm not a video producer, so someone maybe let me know if this will qualify as a "spoof"?

Edited by JLSleather

There are many worthwhile how tos on YouTube. And plenty of wanna be movie stars.

Aside from marketing, those that choose to run ads make money from the ads.

If you are going to spend the time to make a video, why not make a useful one? Maybe about fishing.

Share your knowledge along with your patterns. We are grateful for it.

12 minutes ago, Roq said:

If you are going to spend the time to make a video, why not make a useful one?

Well, this has always been my position.  Sadly, though, the 'useful' is drowning in an ocean of poo!  Apparently, I'm the minority -- I value the INFORMATION above the "production".

14 minutes ago, Roq said:

those that choose to run ads make money from the ads.

Exactly.  Not about helping another leather man / woman at all.  Just about keep you sitting here - even if it's a waste of your time -- so that the "producer" can get paid.  Yikes.

But, enough of that.  I'm off to the gym, then a shower, then some holsters (TIP:  forums can waste as much time as videos ;) ).

Perhaps you could make a useful video and title it "useful whatever video".

Last night i searched to find a video about useing a cylinder arm machine. I didn't really find anything showing how to take advantage of that cylinder bed. I mean how do you really get the most bang for your buck out of it? 

All i see are people sewing belts or scraps. Someone show how handy it really is......

This is your mission, Jeff, should you choose to accept it. Your screen will explode in 30,29,28,27................

Yeah, that's a done deal.  There was a gal - sewing the tops of bags -- I didn't see where that could be done on a flat machine (though, perhaps it could happen on a pedestal machine).

But the thing to remember here, is not about what would constitute a worth-while video -- the point here is something more along the lines of my turn to make a pointless one ;)

I did make one a while back, but it was not of the same caliber of 'lameness' I'll be looking for here.  That video was about "holster stitching"... showed a flat holster being stitched on an excuse for a leather stitcher, with far too bright lights making detail impossible to make out, and a down-right 'gabby' narrative that caused a 5-minute job to take 10 mins.  But i'm talking about something WAY beyond that one.... 

I've already covered the information about how to make holsters in a simple and fast (and free) pdf file made available to anyone who wants it (don't even need to ask).  So teh video doesn't really require information anyway - it'll just be for those who like to spend their day watching.. you know... nothing ;)

ANYhoooo.. back to the holster makin's ...

I actually use my cylinder arm all the time. Not that most of the operations couldn't be done on a flatbed, they are just easier. Unlike when i have to do it inside out or upside down on a flatbed.  One of the best examples is stitching a turned seam around the top of a lined bag after the lining is in with one continuous stitch. The advantage is I can keep the nice topside of the stitch showing on the outside, and the bag right side out. I sometimes think it would be more useful as an off the arm machine so i can sew up the side of a bag.

I send all fellow newbies to your site for patterns.

Thanks for the insight tink. Not having a machine at all makes it hard to imagine how they can be utilized. One day i may get one, but for now it's curiosity. 

26 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

I send all fellow newbies to your site for patterns.

Thanks for the insight tink. Not having a machine at all makes it hard to imagine how they can be utilized. One day i may get one, but for now it's curiosity. 

Make a few different kinds of bags on a home machine out of heavier canvas/ denim. I used cheap fabric i got at the thrift store, and cut up a few old canvas duffels and made things. Who cares what they look like, you will use them to keep stuff organized in your garage, the idea is to learn what a machine can and can't do cheaply.

While sewing, Note when you have to work inside out to fit it in the machine, and also note which side of the stitches are up. Also note where thick seams are difficult to deal with. This is worse with leather. Ideally for appearance, you want all the outside stitches to be topside stitches. Imagine that the canvas is leather and much harder if not impossible depending on design and thickness to flip inside out. You will end up sewing yourself into corners for sure. Doing this, you will learn alot about where the limits of a flatbed machine are. I design my stuff to eliminate these hiccups and limitations. A pattern must take into account the skills, materials and equipment available to me at the time. Its a big reason why I do my own patterns. Whatever it is, It needs to be make-able with the equipment I have. Last minute design changes lead to mistakes. Sometimes they are inevitable, however i have had to scrap a few projects over the years due to last minute construction changes that have had unintended side effects.

Thanks. That gives me motivation to set up the machine i bought my wife in June.  She hasn't touched it yet.

Jeff, put the Jack Daniels down and step back. We can work this out. Why, just yesterday I came up with a new............................

On 9/27/2016 at 8:42 AM, JLSleather said:

Marketing? Are we sure we don't mean "grifiting" or "hustling"? 

Pretty widely known, I'm generally not impressed by WHY-tube videos....WHY-tube as in WHY do people spend hours staring at that stuff?@!Thus the reason for my new video (coming soon) -- perhaps I'll then see the point of any of it BEYOND 1.) making noise in hope of being noticed, 2.) persuading people your poo isn't poo, or 3.) an excuse to not be doing actual work.  I'm sure it's none of those, I'm just not personally seeing it yet...

Now, I'm not a video producer, so someone maybe let me know if this will qualify as a "spoof"?

Watch a video or two by the youtube user Ichibanmoto.....you will get ideas for spoofs.

Here are a few short selections. Trust me, you will like this guy i think:

Edited by TinkerTailor

Thanks for bringing this back up for me.  Been purdy durn busy with the stuff to make, stuff to send, stuff to move, and stuff to remodel (kitchen cosmetics).  

Maybe I'll have time to check that later today, in case this guy makes my point for me and saves me some time!